What would you buy for $500? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What would you buy for $500?

well I"m looking to get a basic camera so I can do some freelancing work outside of work. I live in a small community but its pretty much untaped the only guy that does any production work at all uses digital 8's (yup!). I was thinking of picking up a DV 852 or possibly hunting down something used (but what?) I thought about the Optura Pi because of its progressive scan cabability and the fact that I'm guessing it would match up well with a GL2 (I may be able to workout renting one from work.) any other 2,3 ear old gems that would be in the 500-650ish range I should keep an eye out for?

I'm most likely going to start out with the odd wedding, and as soon as I can get enough to get a second camera, (most likely an XL2, if its out in about a year or so or DVX100a) I plan on trying to get a contract with one of the schools for thier auditorium productions (plays, concerts..etc).
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Tommy and YowCH from the MX forum could comment on using the DV852. I've been considering it myself, and it can be had for about $560 from B&H. Low light is good, which you'll need for weddings, and it has good color reproduction for a single chipper. You might look at recent conversations on that forum.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thats proubly top on my list currently. only down side is lack of frame mode and 16:9. but I guess that can wait its a good camera besides that. hopefully a couple ebay auctions will go well in the next couple days and i'll be able to make my purchace
Jon Kamps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion