Canon to Announce GL-2 by July at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:12 AM   #1
Contributor

Canon to Announce GL-2 by July

Canon to Announce GL-2 by July

A very reliable source...

now canon announce the GL2 by July, who know more information???

and where canon announce the XL2 ???

what you want to found in the XL2 (hi def, xlr B/W wievfinder etc.)?
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 08:42 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Well, that's not really news. I've been predicting this for awhile. If you consider that last year the XL1S was introduced in July shortly after a substantial XL1 rebate expired, then you can draw the same conclusion about the GL2, because the big rebate on the GL1 expires June 30th.

I don't think we're going to see an "XL2" very soon, because the XL1S is still less than a year old. Canon will hold on to the XL1S for awhile yet. The GL1 however has been due for replacement for some time now and it's only logical that it'll happen after the expiration of the $250 rebate on June 30th.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Outer Circle

I posted or e-mailed that news to them a while back. I have a friend living in Japan who teaches English, and one of his night class students works for Canon ... and he's not a little guy. Also, consider this: why is that $250 GL-1 rebate expiring June 30? (Hint: new model?)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

>> consider this: why is that $250 GL-1 rebate expiring June 30?

Exactly. This is just how it happened last year with the XL1S. The older XL1 had a huge rebate that expired on June 30. Two weeks later, the XL1S was announced.

Now it's the same thing for the GL1.

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #5
worldman

Let's speculate... It's obvious that Canon doesn't want to create a competition to its own XL line, so I would say that the changes will be minimal. Most likely, they will improve the low-light capability and will add some sort of audio-level control - both are the main issues with the current model. The lens will remain the same - it's still the best in class. Canon might also add a bluetooth capability and very likely SD and MC slots (ZR series already has them). That's pretty much it.
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #6
Trustee

A slower than 60th shutter would be nice too I think. But yeah the AGC and CCD size would be nice changes to do.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:33 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

In my opinion no way will they change *up* the CCD size... let's just hope they don't change it *down* as Sony has done with their camcorders.

I have *one of those feelings* that the new GL2 will feature an Advanced Accessory Shoe, as found on the Optura Pi, Optura 100MC and ZR 50MC. What if it had an optional XLR audio adapter that connected to the camera via this hot shoe? Pure speculation on my behalf, of course...

;-)

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Are those hot shoe's actually much use? You can use XLR adapters on the GL1 as it is from what I've seen.

You thing they'd downsize the ccd?? My goodness that would be horrible. The XM1 is a pretty nice camera but downgrading it would be awful...There some some more depth of field ;)
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2002, 10:17 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Aaron, I really don't think they will down-size the CCD's on the GL2. Sony did this with the TRV950 but I don't think Canon will. However I think we can also forget about bigger CCD's too.

The advantage of the hotshoe: fewer ugly cables! It's bad enough to have the mic cables going into the XLR jacks. At least the Advanced Accessory Shoe will eliminate a couple of RCA or stereo-mini cables.

Old June 1st, 2002, 04:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I wish they would use larger CCD's on the next gen of the XL. I think they will have to in oder to keep up with the Jonesez.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:34 AM   #11
Contributor

ccd size

probably in the new gl2 the ccd will be a 1/4 (it is an evolution of the gl1 not a revolution) an for a bigger ccd we have the xl1/s.

I m sure that the new xl2 will have a 1/3 ccd for compatibility with the lens, the only difference may be the format 16:9 or the real progressive scan, or a better resolution, but not the dimension.

Francesco

i vote Chris for an xl1s
Francesco Marano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion