film distribution! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

film distribution!

so how exactly do the big hollywood dealmakers get their films shown in theatres?

for example, if i were to somehow create a distributor like New Line or Miramax, how would i go about showing these films in major theatres?

i ask mainly because i do not quite understand the independent market vs. mainstream. usually the theatres showing independent films ONLY show independent films, and the mainstream theatres only show the mainstream.

how does this work? the films in mainstream theatres are generally from the top 5 or so distributors, so i suppose that means exclusive contracts are out... so what then? do the distributors find new theatres and just agree to show their films? or is it the other way around, and do movie theatres contact the distributors to license their films? how do the "mainstream" distributors gain this status and the ability to show their films virtually anywhere?

i mean, it makes sense for the largest/most powerful group to be the mainstream... but how does one get there in the first place without that chance to show something in the mainstream?

just curious... i wish i knew a lot more about how the business works.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Maybe the big distributors own the cinemas too?
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

Daniel, here is your recommended reading. The Movie Business Book, ed. Jason Squire. This book answers all the questions you've asked. It's a bit dated, but while the technology of filmmaking has changed in the past 10 years, the distribution system has not, and no book is more complete or as varied in its perspectives as this one is.

(Distributors are not allowed to own exhibition venues, thanks to U.S. vs. Paramount et al. 1948.)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Major Player

Also try: MOTION PICTURE MARKETING AND DISTRIBUTION by Fred Goldberg
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion