Are ther ever any revisions of cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Are ther ever any revisions of cameras?

Like... what I'm saying is that do cameras ever get revised and updated either like the hardware components or internal components? I mean, like I buy GL2.... and say that the GL2 came out in 2001.... would it be beneficial to buy it say like 3 years later (2004).. Perhaps the internal components are revised to prevent bugs/errors? I mean the whole camera technology isn't updated... of course that would be a whole new camera, but I mean do cameras ever get revised as time goes on, thus making the production of cameras now be better than when it first came out -- or is it all the same?
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Occasionally there are software upgrades available for some DV camcorders. Generally the nature and details of these upgrades are not made available to consumers. However, if you send your camcorder in for service on a regular basis (at least once per year at the very least is my own recommendation), your camcorder will automatically receive those upgrades. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yes, later production runs may have updates. The Japanese do make running changes in their products when they batch them more than one time.

Understand that cameras are made a batch at a time. Then the plant makes something else for a while. Then they may come back and set up the production line for another run of a camera. Unless there is a serious problem, the current batch will be built as-is.

I know my PD150 from 3 years ago did not perform as well as the new one Sony gave me 13 months ago. Subtle differences.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion