need straight forward answer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM   #1
Major Player

need straight forward answer

I need a straight forward answer about this. I know all the specs etc. I just want user opinions. People that have actually used these cameras. TRV950 or PV-DV953

I have magic bullet and a very fast machine to render. Good mic and tripod. Just comes down to these two cams for me. Lets hear ur opinion users.

Thanks
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

What exactly is your question? Which one should you buy?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Major Player

which of the two cameras i should buy
Old March 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM   #4
Outer Circle

The PV-DV953 is good value for the money. The GS100 is even better, and the next jump would be to a GL2 or a PDX10. What type of shooting are you planning on doing? If you tell us this then the members could more easily suggest something.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #5
Major Player

indie films to be on dvd, all lighting will be controlled
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I own a trv950 well the minumum lux setting is not the best which is around 6 or so but it is a nice little cam for me. Try some hacking, pump up the illumination of the scene and step up(higher f stop) with the aperture. The image (from my tests) turns out to be smoother than from an average preset of exposure and normal lighting. Also a big plus on doing that is the great density of the (want to say negative) of the footage, the contrast is a lot higher(depends on the lighting again) which is one part of making an image film-like. So back to the start i think it is very possible ( if the lighting is present) to be able to use trv950 in a very productive pro"ish" way. It is very smooth i think the footage out of the cam is very much acceptable for Dvinfo audience of course, for the rest it is hd. Though at this point i am wanting to upgrade to something 24p as you will find out the deinterlacing step is never 100% true and in result of that the resolution crumbles. One way of going around is doing a multi process deinterlacing with different filters and applications which is close than your regular DVfilm maker. Oh yeah and your argument was 950 vs 953, in my amateur opinion size of the ccd chip is a bit important and i would go with a trv950. Good luck with your buy.
Dmitri Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #7
Major Player

The TRV950 is rated at 7 lux and the DV953 at 15 lux. That is 1 F-stop or 6 db of gain. To gauge what that means in reality, look at this site. (BTW 1 FC=10 Lux) If you are making a film and are shooting only natural light, this might make a difference to you. But, I suspect most filmmakers will use a higher light level, 3 point lighting, and simulate a dark look with filters or manual adjustments. Look at the other camera features like touch screen vs. buttons/jog dial. What can be manually adjusted on each camera. The availability of accessory mics, lenses, XLR adapters, etc. for the type of shooting you plan to do. Right now, there is about $900 difference in price between these two cameras with the Dv953 being cheaper. You can buy an awful lot of accessories for that money.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #8
Wrangler

All I can say is, I love the image from my 953 when I feed it enough light. The colors are good, the Leica lens resolves 570 lines (per Panasonic specs), lots of good manual adjustments, 16:9 (horizontal sqeeze) and letterbox (cropped) modes, frame mode at 30P, built in flash for stills, and the list goes on and on. I bought it at full retail when it first hit the shelves and I have never regretted it.

I have no experience with the Sony but there have been numerous comparisons of the two over the past year. Do a Google search and see what comes up.

regards,
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion