I can't really tell the diff. between 3CCD and a 1CCD... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Major Player

I can't really tell the diff. between 3CCD and a 1CCD...

Hmm... after having the GL2 for a few weeks now, I can't really tell A LOT of difference. The only thing I "notice" is super crisp imaging and fine detail. When I zoom in, the detail compared to the 1CCD's I've messed around at my high school (equivalent to the ZRsomething's from Canon) the image is definately either colder or warmer depending on the camera really.. But overall, it may just be me. I mean, the manual features on these "prosumer" cameras ($1000-3000) compared to the lower ones probably makes up for the price, I guess.
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #2
Trustee

That "super crsp imaging and fine detail" means quite a bit. You also get more colour information which helps with more natural colour reproduction. One top of that 3 chip cameras generally offer more control over the imaging than the single chip cams. You don't find full manual control, zoom/focus rings, decent audio control, interchangable lenes, etc on single chip cams. Of course the JVC HDV cams are an exception but even they don't offer full manual control. All this manual control is what helps you make the most of the information available from the 3 chips. On auto you probably won't see much difference you need to use the manual settings to take full advantage of the 3CCD configuration.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Looking at the pictures over at http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel....html&lp=ja_en, the images from 3CCD cameras look a lot more realistic than 1CCD cameras.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Major Player

I guess you're right. I normally use auto (I'm just new to the manual controls and starting out), but learning to use manual. Although I don't quite understand ALL the features, I just mess around with the settings until I find the "right" picture. Do you guys know if UV filters also perhaps change the color A LITTLE, if not much? I have on the GL2 a B+W 58mm Multiresistant Coating (MRC) UV filter just for protection from dust and stuff. Could this affect the image quality?
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a ZR20[1chip] and a DV953[3chip] and can tell a huge difference in color Accuracy. All smiles here!
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM   #6
Outer Circle

Quote:
I can't really tell the diff. between 3CCD and a 1CCD...
I can. As already mentioned, 3 CCD cams have better color, especially the Canons and Panasonics.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Check out 2filter.com for some photos of the different colors of skylight filters by various makers. I would assume if the skylights vary, the uvs do also. Hard to believe there isn't some impact. In addition, just the basic quality of glass used differs by maker. BTW, are you looking at footage on a computer or on your tv? Don't have a GL, but with the cam I do have, there is a difference in color quality when footage is viewed on my hdtv as opposed to my computer screen. (Of course, it all looks best on the small lcd of my cam, but then this cam is reputed to have engendered complaints about footage looking better on the lcd than on tv.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 04:48 AM   #8
Major Player

I was doing a side by side LCD/Viewfinder comparison when zooming in/out and tweaking diff. color/manual controls on the GL2 versus the other lower-costing not as professional camcorders, or as they say.
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #9
Outer Circle

There's some new UV filter out that is supposed to block a lot more UV. I think Hoya makes it. But I think this kind of filter is only good for B&W photography. A UV on a camcorder is really only used to protect the lens.

David, even with many "not so professional cams," you can "lock" the focusing and white balance.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 06:29 AM   #10
Warden

David, you can't use a low cost, low quality device like a prosumer camera's LCD or view finder to make critical observations about camera image quality. Shoot the same scene, in the same light, with both cameras and playback the footage on a good quality monitor and you'll see a difference. A higher than normal contrast scene will clearly show the differences in the two cameras.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Major Player

I guess you're right.... monitors should be much better to determine.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi David,

I've had my GL2 for about a year and a half, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. When I first bought it, though, I thought I had made a huge mistake. When comparing video shot with my ZR20 to that of my GL2, I didn't see much difference. I started visiting various sites, and I soon learned about the manual controls of the GL2.

Let me tell you, they make a HUGE difference in the quality of video. One thing I learned is that all the program modes (except fro spotlight, and it has its own set of problems) auto adjust the gain, which makes things grainy. When you shoot manually, you can adjust things to suit your taste, as well as get the best possible footage available. When you shoot in manual mode, you can really change the way your video looks.

For example, you can achieve a shallow Depth of Field (DoF) that really adds that cinematic feel. You also have full control of the gain and shutter speed, the simulate the shutter angle of a film cammera. You also have Custom Key button, where you can set the level of sharpness, color saturation, setup, and tint of the video.

What's really nice about all this, is you white balance for your location, press your Custon Key, and you have consistant Hig Quality video.

If you'd like to see some examples, go to www.slakrboy.com and check out the video's I've produced; they look very professional.

Cheers,
Mark Jefferson
Mark Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion