HD- what does it look like more at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Major Player

HD- what does it look like more

I posted this question a few months ago, and could not get a straight answer without people telling me that HD is neither PAL or NTSC.

The question was , In your opinion does HD look more like PAL or NTSC?

Now Again i know it is neither!! but i want peoples opinions. Think of it like me holding up a pink shirt, and asking is it more blue or more black.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Strictly from a resolution point of view, it would look more like PAL.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Thankyou! finally 1 answer.

I happen to agree with this as well, also becuase of the closer fromae rate of 24p, but the hd1 shoots at 30p,

Hd1 - Pal or ntsc?
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Major Player

In my own tradition of replying to my own posts, sometimes several years later, here is the answer. Gee, i wish i could have told myself this like 4 years ago!

Ok so, my beef was that I wanted to know if HDTV looked more like PAL or NTSC. No one was really interested in this discussion, fair enough its a)quite dry and b) if your from an NTSC country you probably have no reference point.

At the time, I was suddenly seeing American broadcasts like 'Letterman' that looked the same as Australian shows from a look point of view (content fortunately stayed the same) , ie PAL Broadcast. The psychological effect was that it made me, and possibly only me, feel like theses shows may have well been produced down the street and that I had now seen behind the 'NTSC curtain' as to what it would look like if it was made locally. Where as NTSC looks like Video, obviously, it doesnt look as "electronic' (using this word as an antonym for filmlike) as PAL, due to the higher framerate and less true to reality (making it look more film like) color space.

What i have concluded over 4 years later is....

'REC709' HD color space resembles PAL much more closely than NTSC does.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Is what you're saying that HD on an SD TV-set looks like PAL on a PAL TV set and worse than an NTSC TV show converted to PAL broadcast viewed on a PAL set?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion