PD170 vs DV5000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Wrangler

PD170 vs DV5000

Was looking to compare these two camera in regards to their performance when used for wedding videography.

The pros and cons of each that I can gather off hand are:

JVC DV-5000
Pros:

-larger 1/2" CCDs yeild better low light performance and lower dof shots
-easier to steady during "handheld" shots
-Full size DV format (Over 2 hours record time)
Cons:
-size
-expense

Sony PD-170
Pros:

-small/lightweight
-cheaper
Cons:
-smaller ccds
-less lines of resolution

Those are just some of the ones off the top of my head- I know some of you can describe the pros and cons of each in a much more thorough way. I'm looking to compile the info to see if it's worth spending the extra cash for a full size cam. Thanks in advance.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

another point

the cameras really are in two seperate leagues, one being almost strictly a pro camera the other being high end prosumer. Some other items to consider mainly with expense; you will need a bigger better tripod for the jvc, the batteries are going to be more expensive and you will need more.

Compare the cost of np batteries or anton bauer bricks and a charger to a few npf-960s, its a thousand dollar difference.

However with the JVC you can go for different lenses and it could open you up for different types of work with the improved capabilities. Its a much more obtrusive and noticable camera one benefit could be the value in the customers eyes...if I was selling myself to a client who didnt know much about video the jvc looks much more impressive....

Also if you do consider the pd170 as your main choice, why not save some cash and get a pd150 its hardly different and its got its glitches worked out. Truthfully if I was buying today and it was a 150 vs 170 and the price difference was 500, even if I had cash to burn I would take the 150. But then again I dont like to buy during the 1st year of production....

M
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

But wouldn't the point about the 150 and 170 practically being the same camera mean it's not "really" a first year of production cam.

Where can you get a new PD-150 and how much? Can it be purchased for the price of a new VX2100?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #4
Contributor

The PD170 has optical stabilization, which is nice for hand holding. The JVC is a shoulder mount camera, so it's also good for hand held shots, but not as good for walking handheld shots if you do any of that. As mentioned above, you'll need much more expensive professional batteries and a charger for the JVC. You'd probably want at least 4 batteries, and depending on what type you get, you could spend a thousand bucks for them, plus around $600 for a charger. Because of its bigger chips, the JVC will give you a better quality image. However, for weddings, the 170 is probably good enough. For me the decision to spend the extra money would depend on if you could expect to get work other than weddings if you bought the JVC.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

While I agree that the 5000 is more appropriate and impressive for certain types of work it really boils down to the type of work you plan on doing. I've been using 150's for weddings for over 2 years now and frankly have no desire to go back to a full size camera for that type of work. Even most of my corporate run and gun, social/dinner/cocktail type events are done with the 150's. However for other type of corporate work i.e.; training,how to,sales seminar, FD training stuff, talking head interviews etc, nothing beats a good full size camera. As was stated, batteries cost a whole lot more, the charger cost more than some mini DV cameras, tripod and head is more because of the weight of the camera. Can't use a Bogen 501 or 503 head with a loaded down 370/390. Gotta go to a 510 or 516 head. Lots more money.

So IMO it really boils down to what type of work your gonna do. Weddings? Nothing wrong with the 150/170-corporate work, probably the JVC but in the end, remember, it's your choice. You're the one that has to use it and schlep it around and know it inside out. Best thing if you can, find a place that you can goto and at least handle the camera and if possible shoot some tape with it. Heck, rent it for a day or 2, remember you're looking to spend some serious money you want to make sure of your choice.
Good luck to you,
Choose wisely grasshopper ;-)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Wrangler

Re: PD170 vs DV5000

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Elliott : Was looking to compare these two camera in regards to their performance when used for wedding videography.

The pros and cons of each that I can gather off hand are:

JVC DV-5000
Pros:

-larger 1/2" CCDs yeild better low light performance and lower dof shots

It does not have better low-light performance than the 170. The DOF difference is small.

-easier to steady during "handheld" shots

Well, maybe. It doesn't have steadyshot which does work to your advantage when you have to zoom in to catch the action across the room.

-Full size DV format (Over 2 hours record time) [4.5 hours]

Better DSP 'should' deliver a nicer image. But I've only bought and used JVC DV-500 which has a nice image quality. I'd expect that JVC didn't lose that ability.

Also will take a CCU won't it? Not too important right off the bat but it could be important later when you have $2500 to spend for one plus the cable.

Much better viewfinder. High resolution, easier to use in low light.

Faster handling because everything has direct manual controls.

Cons:
-size
-expense - much greater expense From lens to batteries to charger to tripod to filter to .......

Sony PD-170
Pros:

Great low-light performance

-small/lightweight
-cheaper
Cons:

Stepped aperature and volume controls will cause some problems in the video. There is no smooth way to slowly adjust exposure or audio gain.

-smaller ccds
-less lines of resolution

The DV format is the limiting factor here. The 170 delivers close to the max.

I use both a PD150 and a DSR-300 in weddings and other events. If I could only use one, I'd have a problem. I love the low-light capability and small size of the 150. I hate the lack of direct, smooth manual controls. The 300 delivers a nicer picture except in the lowest of light levels. Handles faster.

And in spite of those of us who get buy on pro gigs with smaller hand-held cameras, the users of the big cameras get a lot more respect. Ignorant respect maybe. But it is there just the same and perception is a lot of the battle.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion