lens confusion.. film vs video. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #16
Wrangler

I have heard of a few fillms that were made with a single focal length. Wes Anderson is fond of this, I know that both Bottle Rocket and Rushmore used (allegedly) one focal length each. Bottle Rocket was a 27mm I think; don't remember what Rushmore used (40mm?). No idea about Royal Tannenbaums.

I do not believe that in this day and age, a viewer could find anything jarring about multiple focal lengths in use.

The practice of moving in for a closeup on a wide lens is often shunned as it distorts the facial features (especially considered a no-no for the ladies), unless this is the desired effect.
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi!

I wrote a post here yesterday which seems to have disappeared.. weird.

Anyway, if nobody could see the difference, why would a director chose to shot an entire movie with one focal length? Just for the hell of it?

Is there any of this that applies to video too? Should you not have the lens wideopen when you shot a lady?

Thanks for your answers, they are great!
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #18
Wrangler

Here is a link with some great interview material with Wes Anderson about "Bottle Rocket". About 2/3 of the way down the page he describes his logic about shooting the entire film on a 27mm prime.

This one mentions the 40mm anamorphic lens that was used primarily but not exclusively (so that was my bad) on "Rushmore".

I recall some classic western being made with a single lens but I don't remember which one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion