Going to Hd that is the question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Going to Hd that is the question.

I am currently looking at upgrading to HD. As of now I have not had one customer ask for hd video but I am wanting to move that way. One of the cameras I'm looking at is the HVX200a and one of the reasons being that it has the capability to shoot in sd so I could actually use it with my other cameras. For those of you that are shooting hd do you ever have to convert your footage to sd? if so, how long does it take? Being in my position would you spend the 5k for the hvx200a or settle for something else that only shoots hd? Have considered going with just a hd cam like the sony hdr-fx1000. I really like the specs and the price is considerably lower. Also the Pan AGHMC150 which uses sdhc cards(more affordable) but only shoots in hd. There again the price about the same as the sony. Give me your thoughts?
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

As far as I know, any HDV camera can also shoot DV. Shooting HDV and downsizing to SD can give you a better image though.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe I didn't word that very well. The HDR-FX1000 isn't an HD only camera. It can also shoot SD (DV), as can any other HDV camera (that I am aware of).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Trustee

The avchd cameras need real serious computer power to edit, due to the very complex encoding, something to consider if you are making a change. We shoot Canon XHA1's, which can record either HDV or SD or can downsample hdv to sd from the camera if needed. The only avchd cameras I am familiar with shoot 16:9 format only. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Major Player

didn't realize that the HDR-FX1000 also shot in sd.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you need another camera, and don't have any customers at all wanting HD (or widescreen SD), I'd suggest getting another SD camera, and wait until you actually need an HD camera to purchase one. Prices are always falling, while newer and better products are being introduced as well. Right now, you can pick up good quality used SD cameras dirt cheap. If you can find one, arguably some of the best bargains in used 3-1/3" chip cameras are JVC-GY-DV300Us. I've seen those sell for insanely low prices, and the quality of the output from the camera is quite comparable to other, more popular (and more expensive), 3-1/3" chip cameras.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion