Which cam for action shots? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Which cam for action shots?

I've been itching to do high speed stuff ever since the Sprint V-3 footage came out. I have a couple HV30's that I love but I'd like to get into some high fps shooting. Kids wake boarding, playing baseball, etc., If the cam only provides it in bursts that's fine. The budget is anywhere from 1k to 6k.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

How high speed do you want to get? 720p60 is great for action. The HMC150 and HM100 come to mind.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I wouldn't mind getting up into 120fps. But 60 would still be a step up from the HV30's 30p.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
720p60 is great for action. The HMC150 and HM100 come to mind.
720p60 isn't a whole lot different than what the HV30 gives you if your NLE can split out fields. For example, Time Remapping of 1080i footage in Adobe Premier Pro CS3 (and likely CS4) will break out fields so at 50% speed what you get is roughly 720p. It will render out at 1080i footage but in reality it's interpolating the 720 lines to make 1080 out of it.

I'm not sure how much more you might get out of 60p cam at 720 lines, but if you're hoping for a two fold increase, you just won't get it. There are a number of variables at play here so I cannot say that my scenario will yield the same quality as 720p60 but I don't think the difference would be enough for me to plunk down hard earned cash for a new camera just for that.

You might be better served by shooting with what you have and using a software tool like After Effects' Time Warp to interpolate frames. Depending upon what you're shooting, you could get to 1/4 speed with good results.

That said, there are other reasons why those JVC cams would be a good choice.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi,

I shot some slomo with the Sony EX1 and the JVC GY-HM700. Both great cameras and great slomo. I guess you should go for this mode, you will not regret it and the price is (to my mind) affordable.

Best

Lutz
Lutz Dieckmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Major Player

You will need to be able to increase the shutter speed to 1/250th or 1/500th of a second for fast motion.

There was another thread on the subject you might like reading here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/these-peo...ng-sports.html

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion