How do I get this image back? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I get this image back?

Been seraching for the right look for this project i'm doing.
This is my fav
Without color correction

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: nonq.jpg

With
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3682/corrected.jpg

Can't remember the settings I had on.

Using hv30.
This was my fav, but can't remember settings.
The camera said the f stop was f2.8 and shutter speed was 50
Don't know if I was using cinemode or whether it's the white balance that was making the difference.
The main difference between this and other shots that I took was the fact the background and shadows were able to handle alot of contrast, without damagin the subjects facial tone.
The idea behind it, is blazing white background, big shadows and good skin tone from subjects.

I used ulead video studio to color correct as my pc can't handle anything else at moment :)
Put contrast to 52/ saturation 6 and hue at 1

BTW only problem I had with the color correction was the over abundance in pink. any way I can correct this next time I find the right(ish) settings or in post to keep the same principles to the image? Messing with color correction on camera maybe? what settings color saturation down or up maybe?

Thanks
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

BTW
I definitely didn't mess with the color correction options inbuilt into camera.
I almost certainly had the gain up and maybe was using cinemode
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #3
Trustee

The camera shot looks pretty neutral, well balanced and well lit so you have a good starting point. I don't know the Ulead product so I cannot comment on the individual settings but in the graded image you've definitely crushed the blacks and have some significant posterization. The color artifacts you're getting are likely because you've pushed the limited color space of HDV a bit over the edge. If it's the look you wanted, then great but it does highlight that the boundaries to manipulation are never far away with HDV.

Your issue with pink is not uncommon when you push color saturation as hard as you seem to have. My experience is that when a lot of saturation is added, it almost never builds up evenly because the hues are just never even in the source image. Not bad shooting. Just the way it is.

If you have an RGB Levels or 3-way color correcting tool, that can help you mitigate some of the pinkness. I'd start with the highlights and then work to the mid tones.

I'm no expert on this. It's just my gut feeling on how to proceed. Perhaps someone with more experience has a better idea.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

any cannon guys can tell me if this looks like it's in cinemode?
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

big mystery this one.
In every other shot i've tried the background goes bright white undercontrast when it destroys the subjects skin tone. and the shadows aren't as dark.

Could this be whitebalance? i'm pretty sure I was using cinemode now and dvmp told me it was 2.8 fstop 50 shutter speed 6 db
Gary Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion