Another question about 1 camera shooting. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 26th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Another question about 1 camera shooting.

Hey guys. I just read the other thread about the guy trying to shoot a weddingf with only one camera and it got me to thinking. Now how would he ever go about this ? Like could you only capture it from one angle ?. Lets say in the middle of the ceromy you want to cut and go to the other side and get another angle...how would you do so without losing the audio sync with the last cut ? Im really interested in how you guys are able to shoot an event and have two angle with the audio syncing but only using one camera. I know you probably just redo the part fo another angle but I would really love to know. Thanks to all you guys who are able to help me out.

Cheers,
Cory
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #2
Major Player

One trick is to cut to a "B" shot without changing the audio track.
Lets say you're shooting the vows. Got a great angle on the bride. She finishes her vows and is about to slip on the ring. You've got no more that 60 seconds to get around to a new angle to cover the groom.
You make it in time and shoot the goom's vows, but you didn't shoot the ring exchange or the priest's initial instructions to the groom (you've got audio though).

Now, at other points before, during or after the ceremony you managed to get...
A shot of the congregation
A "re-enactment" close up of the bride & groom's hands as she puts a ring on his finger.
A close up of the groom's face as his eyes shift from looking down to looking at his bride.
A wide angle of the bride, groom and preist at the alter from the back of the church.

Now the edit...
You've got your bride angle as she says her vows.
Then closeup to the hands.
Then closeup to grooms face.
Then congregation for a moment.
Maybe back to the groom's and or bride's face.
Wide angle as the priest begins to speak to groom to prompt his vows.
Cut to your good angle of groom's face for his vows.

The cool thing is that there is no important audio between when the bride finishes her vows, until when the priest speaks, and the audio of the priest doesn't need to be in sync with anything.
So you can freely stretch or compress the "dead air" time between the bride and groom how ever much you like between those shots to accomodate your video edit.

Hope this makes sense and is somewhat useful.
Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Awesome man, that helped alot actually. I finally understand it. But...the thing in there that gets me is that even though you have the audio in between the bride and grooms vows you toally miss the ring segment while running to get your other angle. Any clarification on this ?

Cheers,
Cory
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure. From my previous post...

Now, at other points before, during or after the ceremony you managed to get...
A shot of the congregation
A "re-enactment" close up of the bride & groom's hands as she puts a ring on his finger.
A close up of the groom's face as his eyes shift from looking down to looking at his bride.
A wide angle of the bride, groom and preist at the alter from the back of the church.

Basically, after the ceremony, the bride, groom and party come back into the church for photos and such. At some point during this (maybe even after the photographer is done) you ask to get a close up shot of the rings being put on. You don't even have to be on the alter at this point, since it's the close up that you're after, very little background will be visible.

Now you've got a shot of the rings being put on for use in your edit!

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Didnt see that there....

Well that is great man. You really helped me out. I feel more confident know using only 1 camera for that type of stuff.

Cheers,
Cory
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion