back issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

back issues

Hello,

On the last shoot I was on, I experienced some back pain. However, the morning after, it was excruciating. I've never experienced this before and the interesting thing was the shoot was really simple, it simply consisted of the camera on a tripod, not much movement, just some zooming in and out to reposition.

I don't know if it was because I was looking down at the LCD the whole time, or standing in the same spot, but after awhile, I could feel it in my back.

Any ideas on how to properly shoot/stand, to avoid this in the future.

Thanks
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I had never ever in my life had a back problem UNTIL, I came back from vacation and about 1 week later I was in the most pain ever in my life and it wasn't in my back but showed up in my right calf. After being checked out for a blood clot (none thank goodness), undergoing an MRI and Xrays of my back it was found I have a slight problem with a disc but for the life of me I can not , absolutely can not think of anything I had done to hurt myself. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP! Not even a bad golf swing.
Here's what my doctor told me, YMMV, standing in one place for a long period of time, like a wedding, moving big or at least heavy bags or cases of gear improperly, carrying a heavy piece of gear on your shoulder for long periods of time, a bad golf swing ;-), sitting for long periods of time, a big wallet (or other stuff) in your back pocket(s) which cause one to NOT sit fully on your butt...The list ran on a bit but I won't bore you. Bottom line, I took anti-inflamatory pills for 2 weeks, 2 a day, and that made a world of difference. My wife being a nurse had me take a theaputic dose of ibuprophen (1600mg per day) until I got in to see the doctor, and by stretching before doing any strenuous type activity, like shooting or playing golf, has made a world of difference for me. Of course lifing properly is also important. Now when shooting I make sure I move my weight around, a few minute with it on one leg then the other then back again. I also keep my legs and back relaxed to the point of almost slouching to relieve pressure on my lower back.
Anyway, stretch yourself out, take some ibuprophen and make a doctors appointment if it doesn't subside in a day or two.
REMEMBER, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV AND I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn express last night -----this is what happened to ME and what the diagnosis was for ME and what I have done to relieve the pain.
Good luck
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been going to a chiropractor regularly now for over a year. My chiropractor does free workshops for his patients on a wide range of topics. I volunteered to videotape his workshops so he could post them on his website in exchange for his chiropractic services.

Chiropractic really makes sense if you think about it; your brain and spine houses the central nervous system. If one of your vertabrae subluxates, it pinches a nerve that comes out of your spine, creating pain or diminishes the function to organs or tissues to which it's connected to. 90% of a nerve's function is to relay messages, and only 10% transmits pain. If you're feeling pain, there may be a whole lot of other things happening to your body that you don't know about!

A chiropractor's goal is to have your body heal itself from the inside. The best thing about all this is that it's done without medication. Chiropractic really worked wonders for me!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
Hello,

I don't know if it was because I was looking down at the LCD the whole time, or standing in the same spot, but after awhile, I could feel it in my back.
Thanks
Actually, looking down for long periods is one of the worst things you can do for your back. Your head is like an off-centered bowling ball, being supported by your straining neck and shoulder muscles.

The monitor should be at eye level. Good body posture is very important for long shoots.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion