Shooting POV-First Person How to Video..Angles Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting POV-First Person How to Video..Angles Advice

I have been asked to shoot a chain saw disassembly video. The intent is so the manufacturer can send the REPAIR/DISASSEMBLY video out to thier service dealers and they can see the proper disassembly and reassembly techniques.

I have watched a few of these and it appears as though the camera man is right over the technicians shoulder. Its almost as the technician is the camera. I believe this is POV-First person footage..correct?

I thought i would be able to set the camera up in front of the desk and work this way, but it looks funny and awkward with the technician reaching over the chainsaw all the time.

Anyone here ever done any of these? Suggestions please?

Dave
Old July 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Major Player

David:

There are a lot of ways to do it, but here's an easy one:

Shoot a lockdown master from the front, nicely framed so you can see the tech working, and the chainsaw in front of him. (Top of tech's head at top of frame, bottom of chainsaw slightly above bottom of frame) Let him go through the entire process, narrating as he goes.

Once finished, re-assemble the chainsaw (or bring in the identical "stunt" saw prepared earlier) and have him do the exact same thing again, only over his shoulder, maybe a half step to left or right, depending on where you need to be. You can do this from a couple of different angles, if you want.

In edit, lay down the master video/audio shot with the on-screen video & sound of the disassembly, then as needed, drop in the VO shots of the over-the-shoulder movements as you see fit for visual clarity.

If the tech can't narrate and operate at the same time, transcribe the information for a voice over, and drop it in later. If the tech is a total disaster audio-wise, and it happens, have him do the disassembly/reassembly without talking so you can get the natural sound, and plan on inserting the voiceover later.

Most guys can explain their work pretty well, once they get over the nervousness of being on camera.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bill... Im anxious to get started on this project!

Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion