avoiding flicker when videoing a computer monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #1
Tourist

avoiding flicker when videoing a computer monitor

any ideas for avoiding those thick lines going up and down the screen. I really need shots of a guy looking at a computer. I need a quick fix. Gotta shoot in a few days.
Thanks for any help
Wolf Niederhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Wolf,

All depends on the camera you're using. Some have a "Clear Scan" shutter setting that will allow the cam to sync with the monitor. If you don't have that option, try using a LCD display vs. the CRT, no refresh on those.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Clear Scan is your best option if you have it. If not, you might try adjusting the refresh rate of the monitor. If you have a Windows machine, the refresh rate can be changed in the Control Panel under the Display-Settings-Advanced-Monitor tab (or similar depending on system version). This may not solve the problem, but it could make the video more usable. Just remember, you'll want to put it back (usually 60Hz) when you're done because some frequencies are difficult to view.
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I found that changing my camera's shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/75 essentially eliminated the problem on a recent taping. If you dont have a clear scan option on your camera and can manually adjust the shutter speed, try that.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Allmost all modern cams can be set to a clearscan mode .See for PD150: http://www.bbctraining.com/onlineCourse.asp?tID=5160&cat=2781 (guide 3)
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion