Focal length and filter distance from lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 17th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Focal length and filter distance from lens

Hi,

I was looking at some sunshades/filterholders and matteboxes that could be used to mount a few contrast reducing filters in front of my PDX10. It has a focal length of 3.6mm at the widest angle of view. This 3.6mm wideangle (~50mm equiv.) - or should we call it "narrowangle" - is quite unusable for certain shots, so a wideangle adaptor must be applied. Now after that the focal length is 0.7x or 0.5x so it becomes:

f=2.52mm or f=1.80mm

With wideangle shots there are often contrast problems, at least in my shots, so I need some filters.

*** What happens if I put some filters in front of the lens and the distance between the lens and the filter(s) is greater than or equal to the focal length? ***

Problems? What kind of problems? Focusing on the filter? Picture quality degradation? Is there a way to circumvent those problems?

At least the Chrosziel filterholders are rated as follows:
f=7.8mm -> max 3 filters
f=5.2mm -> max 2 filters
f=4.5mm -> max 1 filters

so f=2.52 or f=1.80 looks really bad :(

I kind of guess why the Sony lens hoods only allow a single filter to be used...
Ralf Strandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Two issues can arise, although I cannot say how they relate to specific focal lengths. One, depending on the nature of the mounts, the corners of extremely wide shots might become clipped by a deep stack of filters.

Second, given the depth of wide-angle frames, focusing on a filter (and any dust of smudges on it) can become an issue.

I believe that these are probably the key matters at issue.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion