Suggestions for the Sony HDV Cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 24th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions for the Sony HDV Cam

Sony said that the HDV cam they showed at NAB and at Cebit was a prototype and that they were open to suggestions for the final model. So I was thinking that since there is an XL2 Wish List thread, why not make one for Sony's HDV cam.

I want them to make it shoulder mount (I made a little sketch in MS Paint as to how it would look as a shoulder mount based on the design shown at Cebit and NAB). The design shown already is good but I was thinking that would be for the consumer version, but for the prosumer version, it should be shoulder mount (Like the Xl1s and Gl2). The only reason people still buy the Xl1s is because it's shoulder mount. Even if Sony doesn't give their HDV Cam interchangeable lenses like the Xl1s and it just made just shoulder mount with a fixed lens, it would still be an improvement to the handheld design.

They should also give both cams a large 16:9 LCD monitor. 4.5 inches across would be good enough.

To improve sensitivity to the CCD's, they COULD do what Panasonic does with one of they're HD cams(I forgot which), make it so that the camcorder records an image smaller than the Hi-def image(3 1/3 inch 1,080,000 pixel CCDs) and put in an up-ressing chip to up-ress it to Hi-def. through this method you can get 1920x1080 HD images with smaller chips. Otherwise they can just leave the camcorders with 3 1/3 inch 2 megapixel chips so that they can provide a higher resolution. I'm not a professional so this might not actually work, its just a suggestion.

As for in-camera controls, it should have 24p and multiple Cine-Gamma modes. It should also have all the memory card features that the PD170 has. For example: Chroma Key and luma key.

What about you guys/gals?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

oh and a 14 bit Digital Signal Processor like the PDX10.
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mark,
just go to the Sony site and fill in the survey.
Sony really cares about you!
(don't they?)
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

Micheal could you pst a link to the survey?

I bet there are at least 1000 of us who would like to fill it out!
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorry about that!
I bet a 1,000 of us can recognize a sarcastic (and bitter) joke when they see one.
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Ansbro : Sorry about that!
I bet a 1,000 of us can recognize a sarcastic (and bitter) joke when they see one. -->>>

Doh!
Sorry, I'm not one. I thought you were serious!
Heh, sometimes I'm a little slow.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #7
Wrangler

FWIW, Sony does have formal groups with whom they meet on a regular basis to discuss future camera requirements. These Camera Committees tend to be part of a larger organization like WEVA.

There are some long threads on future camera wishes that occur on the WEVA forums.

My favorite items are:

I want a camcorder that has upgrade options that I can purchase and install as software or hardware plug-ins.

I want an option for a waveform monitor built into the camera and displayed on the viewfinder or LCD panel.

A very large X in the viewfinder whenever the camera is not recording. I'm certain everyone, once-in-a-while, doesn't get the camera turned off at the end of a session, manages to capture a lot of foot footage, and then misses the next event because they stop the recording instead of starting the recording.

Make the camera vertical in form-factor so we can hold it steadier.
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Wrangler

Those are pretty bad, but to be fair, I did ask for a cupholder for the XL2. :)
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

And I want it to use frame-integration like the vancecam. i'm pretty sure that having a physical shutter will stop the strobing that you get in 24p with electronic shutter.

Why aren't more people posting?
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion