preserving all audio tracks when dubbing to digital? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 30th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #1
New Boot

preserving all audio tracks when dubbing to digital?

Hi. I have a bunch of SVHS tapes which won't live much longer, they have been kept in high humidity and worse; they have over a decade of scientific research on them.

Burning them to DVD seems like a good way to go in terms of cost and archiving, and it's certainly better than nothing.

However, the way the SVHS data-gathering decks were set up, all channels were used for different data feeds. That is, the HIFI (helical scan) tracks were used for different stuff than the linear audio tracks. On any given tape, then, there are at least 4 separate audio tracks. I'm rather at a loss as to just how to deal with this. Is there a way to get multiple audio tracks onto a DVD? Seems like there ought to be, what with distribution DVD's coming with all sorts of extras. But I don't know.

I believe that DV can take up to 4 12-bit audio tracks, at least in theory, but that would lost some fidelity off the HIFI audio tracks I assume. And worse, I can figure out how to dub all 4 tracks in real time.

In reality the situation is worse than this, because the panasonic SVHS decks used actually encoded 3 linear audio tracks plus the two helical tracks. They were specially modified, so some of the tapes have 5 tracks of audio data. Apparently there are that many linear tracks on any SVHS machine but only 2 are generally used. Was news to me, but it's true.

My problem there is that the machines which recorded the tapes have been submerged in seawater and discarded, so I'm assuming that the data on the nonstandard track will be lost simply due to the impossibility of playing it back.

There are over 1000 hours of video, and not much space to store it, so I'd really rather burn to DVD in a time-efficient operation while saving as much data as can be saved. Any great ideas?

Much thanks...

DJW
Don White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Warden

To put it in the vernacular, your screwed. No offense intended. You can recover two tracks of your choice (Hi-Fi, or linear) with the capture of video. Do a second capture of the remaining audio and match them as best as possible in post.

The fifth channel is a goner. I can't even imagine how or where they recorded a fifth track. If you wanted SMPTE timecode on S-VHS, you recorded it to one of the linear audio tracks.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion