Any Panasonic SVAV100 (MPEG2) users out there? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Tourist

Any Panasonic SVAV100 (MPEG2) users out there?

I have a Panasonic SVAV100 MPEG2 camcorder and would appreciate comments from anybody else out there who has one and ways to get the best out of it.

For all you DV/MV etc users out there, yes I know the quality is not the same as tape but I wanted something I could put in my pocket and take with me, does not need a capture device, and is easy to edit after I very rapidly (at 480 MBPS) put the footage on my computer (or portable hard drive) for editing and burning to DVD for the family.

I would like to hear from anybody that edits MPEG2 video and what software they prefer (that doesn't cost a thousand bucks) and what settings they are using to get the best quality to DVD.

Remember, this is just family movies that have to play in three different countries (Europe, the States and another region 3 country).

Thanks!!
Kirk Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.jackbrown.us/camera/index.php works for meeting with other users. I don't own one, but I browse there occasionally to see if anyone has come up with a justification for my owning one - I do like the size of the cam for just having in one's purse or pocket on an everyday basis.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Tourist

Just the size alone was good enough for me. I have a 1 year old and I have to lug around enough c**p as it is without a full size camcorder. I am happy with the quality (a little bit dull in low light), is is very well built and does everything I need.

Go on buy one, you know you want to.
Kirk Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm saved from myself by being a Mac user. You'll see when you visit the jackbrown site that the av100 footage is not that easy to work with if you're on a Mac. I'll just have to wait for a next generation something to come out - in this case, the anticipation is half the fun.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Tourist

Surely just a case of converting the format to be readable by Mac (and yes I have read the threads, doesn't seem that complicated, seems to me they just like to hear themselves talk), I am by default (my works software only runs on PC) a PC user, so I don't know a great deal about Macs.
Kirk Morey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion