help me find good looking no budget DVDs... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 7th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

GL1 is a great camera.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

"It's the artist, not the paintbrush"

preaching to the choir here, Dylan.

if there's one thing i've learned in fifteen years of audio production, it's that the above statement is always true.
i guess i somehow phrased my post to sound like i was blaming the GL1 for my mediocre results -- which is absolutely not so.
i know it's a cool camera. i just also know i want a better one, at some later time after i've learned how to shoot decently on what i have.
i probably should have said nothing about my opinion of my camera, as my statement definately put out the wrong idea about how i approach any kind of production.

-martino
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

If you're a talented director, lighting cameraperson, sound mixer and editor, then you can make most 3 CCD productions look indistinguishable from those shot on film when it's played back on a standard def TV.

...you just can't fake it on the BIG screen :) - with true HD cameras getting cheaper, we will soon be able to compete with the filmophiles.

Digital artifacts four foot across on the big screen detracts from your storytelling in anyone's language!

Get to know and love the camera you've got, don't blame it for any lack of success.

If your audience just says 'Wow... pwetty pictures' after seeing your film instead of 'Wow.... great story' then I'd think maybe I've failed somewhere along the line!
Doug Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Contributor

How about, "Wow! Great effects!"
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

'Wow, great jib move'... 'Wow, great dolly'... 'Wow, great bleach bypass plug-in'...

- sounds arrogant, but since getting into making films, watching them isn't quite as much fun as it used to be :(

...I get distracted by the techniques, moves, blocking... instead of getting lost in the story!
Doug Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:39 PM   #21
Wrangler

Ryan, no sweat, I'm up to speed now. :)
Old July 9th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
If you're a talented director, lighting cameraperson, sound mixer and editor, then you can make most 3 CCD productions look indistinguishable from those shot on film when it's played back on a standard def TV.
If the 3CCD cameras you are talking about are on the same level as the DVX100, then it's not too hard to pick them out. Ways to tell it was shot on video:

-On the fringes of highlights you have color shifts to 'pure' colors (usually magenta or cyan).
-The smaller exposure latitude of such 3CCD cameras means there will usually be under or overexposed areas. On outside shots the sky will usually be overexposed unless they add a polarizer.
If the lighting is real good this will not happen. Lighting setups are more difficult however when you have less stops to work with.

*The pro HD cameras have better latitude than prosumer stuff.
-Deep depth of field
-The colors are different. With film, highlights usually have no color and shadows are very saturated. I believe it's possible to change this with video, although I don't see it happen much. I'm not sure if the DVX100 does this.

Video shot wrong:
-excessive edge sharpening
-shaky/bad camerawork (usually correlates with low budget productions)
-fast shutter speed used
-fake film looks. Badly-done grain is one. Another is video that is white balanced to be yellow to emulate what happens with daylight-balanced film shot indoors.
-Film has a gamma curve that looks like an s. With video you can color correct it so it looks that way, or adjust the gamma response in your camera (only some do this, like the DVX100).
-not 24p motion
-video noise from low light situations

But to keep things in perspective, I find I have to specifically look for the things above to check that it's film or video, unless it's bad video which is easy to tell. But now you know how to be picky.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Dylan - didn't mean to sound so defensive. it's just too easy to shoot off a reply in this internet age!!

Doug - i know, i watch movies now and i'm like "wow - check that move out.... great storyboarding... " it's exciting, and yet it feels like something is lost.

how's this for some perspective -- the band i've been recording played a show the other night and i went and shot some video of it. i showed it to them later and the singer was like, "cool, it looks like a movie."

and i'm sure all it was was the frame mode and the fact that i kept moving the camera around slowly as they played...
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion