pc or mac - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #16
Warden

Dylan, if I use your logic to buy an auto, then I definitely want to stay away from BMW and Mercedes. Combined, they make up less than 5% of the market.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Graeme offers sage advice.
Quote:
So, in esscence, it's an easy decision - pick the app you like, and buy the best quality machine to run it on.
Unless, of course, you select Avid...in which case you should buy the purdier machine.<g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Yup, Avid will run on PC or Mac.

For what its worth. In the shop where I work, the boss sits in front of a Mac, cutting on FCP and I sit in front of a turnkey PC cutting on Avid.

I've seen him curse and kick the mac and FCP plenty of times to know the "myth" of Mac and FCP stability.

We've just about decided that the only thing keeping computers in general from killing us all... is their lack of opposable digits.

But it's coming.... just wait and see....
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #19
Major Player

I have used a MAC for Protools, and that dang system crashed constantly. Now, I wasn't in charge of keeping it running smoothly, but I couldn't have if I wanted to. With the PC I could because I know the system well (although I haven't had a crash more than two or three times in over 2 years using XP) . That was a big reason that I stuck with it, and all my hardware\peripherals have run fine as plug and play. Also, I recently got a Hyperthreaded P4 PC system which Premiere Pro is configured for. I like the PC for the reason that I know it and it consistently performs for me. If you learn you're system and take care of it properly, you shouldn't get bogged down in spyware and viruses. Like everybody says, I don't want this thread to be a MAC vs. PC rant, but I'm really sick of MAC users telling buyers on the fence that PC's are bad for multi-media. They're pretty much equal now. Use some programs (multimedia, office, etc...) and decide what you like, then get the best system you can afford, and I'm sure you'll be happy. Adobe and Avid make really great suites now that cover all your multimedia needs.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #20
Major Player

sorry for causing such a feud with my enquiry. i hve been editing with pc since the adobe premiere version 4. and honestly, it has deliver pretty well as long as the project is not to heavy with layers. constantly reminding myself to save is a must, file get corrupted does happen. in other word, pc really have it down side when it come to video editing.
reason why i posted this question was, i need to know how stable and fast mac is in video editing.
guys, appreciate all the help.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Well like the humans we are; we become passionate about our choices. This debate is no different than the 24p 60i and filmic look debates all over this board. It is an interesting read.

I use both: XP at work and MAC at home. My profession is software development for embedded controls while my hobbies include photography and beginning video. I've always enjoyed the graphic arts and have long found the MAC to be my choice.

The one major benefit to the MAC is that I have Virtual PC installed running Win 2000, Win 95 AND XP. In this program I can run all the PC software I need, that is not available for MAC. Admittedly these PC programs run considerably slower than natively, but they are seldom used, stop-gap, applications.

So pick the software you want to sit behind every day and buy the MAC version ;)
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

You're right Joe; the PC vs Mac debate will get resolved just as soon as we all agree on which is the best religion :-)

I converted to the church of Apple a while ago, and now have three Macs in the family. I'm very happy with FCP, but I'm sure there are PC apps that do an equally good job. In any case I would guess that most people are constrained far more by their ability, experience and creativity than by their choice of platform or NLE application.

I'll stick with the virus-free rock-solid OSX and the pure style of the current Mac range. The small extra cost is well worth it for me. However, I'd say that the most important thing is to consider the options and make an informed choice.
Pat Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #23
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Dylan, if I use your logic to buy an auto, then I definitely want to stay away from BMW and Mercedes. Combined, they make up less than 5% of the market. -->>>

Jeff
That falls under a different rule of mine:
"buy the sexiest machine you can find".

These days, when I realized that the tool doesn't matter as much as how you apply it, I just buy the sexiest equipment out there.
If there was a Mac with a custom case cooler than my matching black/silver PC cases with transparent/blue neon details (and all matching black equipment), I might own a Mac.

PS, if you wanted reliability, I'd go for a Honda over a Merc or Beemer anyday. ;)
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #24
Trustee

My $.02, I've used both Mac and PC's and the Mac is my machine of choice.....super stable and everything just works as it should.

In the past I've had problems with pc's not working the way it should have.....I don't want to get into details but the Mac has proven to myself and convert friends the machine of choice...and we don't miss anything the pc realm has to offer.

I vote Mac for video editing.

(I know it's not much of a concrete sway- but it's just my 2 cents)
Old July 18th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #25
Major Player

OSX for MAC is obviously very stable, and the MAC OS has been stable for awhile, but ever since Win 2000 Pro, Windows has been very stable as well. That's almost 4 years now of stable OS's on the PC. I really think that with the PC attaining the stability of a MAC, the larger PC software library, and lower price, the PC is a better choice. With the PC you obviously have to be responsible with it (don't let the kids play internet games on your NLE system, use a firewall, don't just install every program you get your hands on, etc...). A lot of the problems associated with the PC were due to the older , less stable Windows OS's, but now if you have a problem with a PC, more often than not it's the users fault.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion