Farenheit 9/11 Video Halo Effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Farenheit 9/11 Video Halo Effect

I'm the haloman. I come out at night in my cape and mask and search out the halo aberation.

Watched the Farenheit 9/11 movie yesterday on the big screen. About 50% of the movie was shot with video. Someone else on this forum mentioned the video was shot with a Sony PD150. I thought surely that camera did not have much of a halo problem. Wow, the footage now blow up to the big screen showed severe halo effect on most of the footage. Is this as good as it gets with this camera? How much better quality would a high end studio or shoulder field camera acheive?

Please no politics or opinions about the film content on this thread. Chris Hurd, can we keep this thread if we talk only about the video quality in this movie?
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

If I recall correctly, none of the original-sourced material in the film--i.e., that which would have been shot on the PD150--was shot at night.

Much of the footage in the film was stock footage, news footage, or shot by various other freelancers/crews and sent to Moore. There's no telling what cameras these other crews used.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The stuff shot by Moore's crew was on 35mm though, right?
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm assuming the non video parts were shot with 35 mm film. It's an interesting movie because there are high definition and low definition parts to the movie. There is a huge difference between them.
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I actually quite liked how incredibly low-fi some of that stuff looks on the big screen, like the green night footage from Baghdad. Its kind of futuristic, almost.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Wrangler

In the background when Lila Lipscomb visits the White House, you can see a female camera operator (presumably on Moore's crew) preparing her video camera.

What was shot on 35 mm in the movie? I can't imagine it. Multiple cameras, running for a half-hour, hour at a time? I think it was all video.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It was probably shot on HD like Bowling for Columbine was. Someone on the dv.com forums mentioned what was shot on what. They used footage from various sources so you might see DV and beta and things like that.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion