mattebox systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mattebox systems

Any words on the Chrosziel 4x4 sunshade/mattebox vs. the century optics dv mattebox system. Similar price. Similar quality?
Michael Bendixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Do a search, there's been some discussion on that particular subject.

The Century is built by Vocas and it comes with a rod support. It's well made of aluminum and carbon fiber. What I didn't like about it was both filters rotate together and it would be very hard to use a graduated filter given the proximity of the rails to the filter frame. I have heard that the "donuts" used to seal the light leakage between the lens and rear filter frame leak a fair bit. I actually tried one on my camera but only at the suppliers counter.

The Chrosziel is cheaper and better built than the Century. The whole unit is built very well, fit and finish are exceptional. The standard unit is a clampon, but it is very light and I don't think would create a problem.

Problem with both is that the shade is very shallow and apart from the French Flag, you're getting very little protection from glare.

The Chrosziel has optional side flags but they cost $500. The support rods aren't cheap either.

For these reasons I opted for the Cavision. The Cavision clamp on is less than half the price and is very functional. It's not quite up to the standard of the Chrosziel but it is a great deal for the money.

If you want some serious shading the Cavision bellows is the way to go. Cavision is constantly upgrading their design and from what i've seen moved closer to the Chrosziel quality. Niether Century or Chrosziel have a collapseable bellows.

www.Cavision.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion