"Three Kings" shot on minidv? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Three Kings" shot on minidv?

Has anyone seen the movie, Three Kings? It has what appears to be a "minidv/cinema" look to it, with alot of blown out highlites and white sky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120188/

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

No it was not. Definitely not.
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
New Boot

It says under the tech specs in the link you provided that it was shot on Kodak 35mm...
Matthew Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Contributor

It was 35mm.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys! In one of my shows shot on Beta SP, a slo-mo sequence sort of reminded me of Three Kings (hence my assumption that Three Kings was not shot on 35mm).

Can anyone explain why Three Kings is overly contrasty with blown out highlites? I've never seen a commercial release like this before.

Dorothy
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Contributor

I guess that's the look they wanted. About 10 years ago John Sayles did a film with big fog filter effects, so all the highlights were blown out and fuzzy (I can't think of the name of the movie at the moment). It was a fairly common effect a few years back but seems to have grown out of favor a bit these days. I have done it when I didn't have the lighting power to override the windows...put on a No. 1 Black Promist and let the background go soft, and you get the blown out blurring. In the case of "Three Kings" it worked very well because of the locations, but in Sayles' film I thought it was too gimmicky.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #7
Wrangler

I read an interview with the director. The look is intentional and designed to bring the 'feel' of the environment to the screen.
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #8
Wrangler

"Three Kings" used a number of different techniques, particular using reversal film stock, which is a type of film that records the images as positives rather than negatives (like slide film). Reversal tends to be a bit more contrasty than negative film. It was traditionally used for newsfilm purposes, because it didn't require a postiive print to be struck.

On "Three Kings", they also cross-processed, which means that they used the processing techniques and materials used for negative film instead of reversal, which makes the image even more contrasty and with desaturated color. I thought it was incredible looking when I saw it on the screen, I'd never seen a feature look like that before. Now, just a few years later, with digital intermediates gaining popularity, there are a lot of unconventional looks being created.
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : I read an interview with the director. The look is intentional and designed to bring the 'feel' of the environment to the screen. -->>>

Thanks, Mike. I'm amazed that this was the director's intentions. To me, at least, it looks amateurishly and poorly lit and shot.

Dorothy
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #10
Air China Pilot

Dorothy, if you have the DVD, there is an extended making of section that talks about what Charles refers to, their method of film grading. It bored me to tears but it has enough detail for most Cinefex readers and beyond.
Old July 25th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #11
Rextilleon

Its the desert, (kind of contrasty), there are news reporters involved, and last but not least its the end of a war---(or at least we thought so)
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Grab hold of a Bleach Bypass plug-in (Magic Bullet or Digital Film Lab etc), and it'll make your well shot DV footage look similar to Three Kings...
Doug Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

This is one of my favorite movies.
If you get the DVD, you'll see David O. Russell(director) and
Spike Jonze (actor in 3kings, director in Adaptation) shooting
each other (one on bicycle, other sitting on top of a vending machine)
with handycams on a New York street.

The film is 35mm but was shot with a lot of steadycam in a crazed fashion.
I don't like Bleach Bypass (Traffic (badly) or
Oh Brother Where Art Thow -- another Clooney film)
Notice how many producers got their finger in the pie?
Charles Roven was also "helping" on Twelve Monkeys.
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Doug Turner : Grab hold of a Bleach Bypass plug-in (Magic Bullet or Digital Film Lab etc), and it'll make your well shot DV footage look similar to Three Kings... -->>>

I am pretty sure that the correct look was called "Color Reversal" in Magic Bullet, not "Bleach Bypass". Bleach Bypass is 'Saving Private Ryan's' look.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion