audio output through monitor speaker: how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

audio output through monitor speaker: how?

Ok, I have my XL1s hooked up to the computer via firewire, and then to a Sony 14m2u monitor via S-video cable. Now if this works for the video signal, shouldn't it work for the audio signal too? I hooked up an RCA cable to the in/outs on the back of the XL1s, and then to the same input on the 14m2u, but I'm getting no sound out of the monitor speaker. Has anyone made this successfully work?

The reason I want sound out of the little speaker is for mixing purposes--I'm told that playing your audio through a mono source (rather than computer speakers or headphones) is a good way to mix the levels of the different sounds, while getting a good idea how they'll sound in the real world.

Anyway, before I go out and buy all sorts of adapters and cables, I was wondering if any of you had made this setup work. Maybe a RCA to 1/8 inch adapter, and then plug into the headphone jack of the camera, instead of the RCA outs? Also, I'm using the three pronged RCA (red (audio), yellow (video), and white (audio) right now. . .I don't know if that makes a difference. Seems like as long as the colors match, it should work.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

bump, my brothers and sisters.

*added later*

Ok, here's what I found out, if anyone wants to know. Apparently the firewire method of outputting to a monitor does NOT include the audio signal (maybe this is only news to me, and if so, then oh well). Vegas itself advises that to preview audio via a monitor/TV, you do a dummy print-to-tape, that is, print-to-tape without actually recording anything.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion