What ENG style cams are there in the 5k range? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:01 AM   #1
Trustee

What ENG style cams are there in the 5k range?

With all the talk about the Xl2, I came across people mentioning the Panny DVC200 as something, while more ENG is within a similar price range. Seeing as I do mostly ENG/Interviews/Seminars this could become an alternate upgrade for me.

I was wondering though, what other cameras exist roughly in this price range with similar features?

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:43 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The JVC DV5000U is perhaps the closest to your stated $5,000 mark, although it will certainly cost more when you factor-in the costs of peripherals.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3
Major Player

B&H has a used one available right now that would put you in under 5k with 'peripherals'.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...0351511&is=USE
Old August 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I worked few times with Sony DSR250, and it is a great cam for ENG&interviews. I liked "pro" feel on shoulder and very durable battery. I think it is in your price range.
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Check out the Panasonic DVC-200. I love mine, and would like to get another (if the budget ever allows). The JVC-5000 is also in that range. I would avoid the Sony DSR-250 as it is more of a prosumer camera (fixed lens, smaller chips, etc.), and doesn't offer the bang for the buck you find in the Panasonic and JVC.

Rick
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Wrangler

Fixed lens might not be that big a deal for someone with a budget of under $5000. Adding almost any lens beyond the Fujinon 14x that comes packaged with most of them will push the enveloppe way beyond $5k.

The JVC DV500 (not the DV5000) can be had used for around $3000, including the Fujinon 14x lens. That leaves you $2000 for a set of sticks and some batteries.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:19 AM   #7
Major Player

It is true that a basic DVC200 package will finish at around $8k, but it is the most interesting cam mentioned so far, imo.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:06 AM   #8
Wrangler

No one has mentionned the Sony DSR350 yet? Used, that would probably clock in around $5,000.
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Aaron,

Budget for around $12-13K NZ for the DVC200 with the cheap viewfinder and 19x6.7KRS lens and a couple of small batteries. I ended up getting a DSR-390 back in Feb when our $ was up a bit. Cost around 12K for the cam + 3K for the 19x lens + GST.

Driving a real lens is not to bad once you get used to it!
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #10
Trustee

Hi Jon. Is that even if ordered from the US? I think that's a bit to much for me then. I saw a PAL version at expandore with VF5 and S14 lens for just under US$5k. Is the price really going to be sucked up by those batteries. I haven't done any research into any PRO gear so I could well be way over me head here.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That was a local price from globalmedia. The add ons do tend to inflate the price a bit over the basic camera unfortunately. The DVC200 by itself was around 6K on the website but no lens or viewfinder which ya kinda need :).

Batts will be around another US1-1.5K for two good ones + charger. The 5K US by the time you land it and pay GST will be around NZ8-9K. Then if it breaks you got a problem!

I ended up ordering my 390 camera from panavision and the lens from globalmedia - saved around 3K on the lens but stuck with a rep dealer for the warrenty etc on the camera body.

cheers

Jono
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Jon. Yeah I think I'll need to wait until the day (If it arrives) where I'm at least covering costs. Damn those non profits and their lack of money! ;)

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion