The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #451
Contributor

I'd say probably the Panasonic SDX900 would be your best bet. Only problem, it won't meet your cost parameters.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #452
Wrangler

Re: I want it all (in a camera)

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael R. Blackbourn :and I also like the pv-gs400 as it meets most of my requirements other then 24p , and people would laugh if you showed up to film a commercial with it)... -->>>

Welcome Michael!

Have you looked at the PDX-10? It's another smaller camera, but has XLR inputs with the same mike as the PD-170, DVCAM recording, high res 16:9, high res BW viewfinder, pro black finish. The XLR box is removable and then it will record with built-in stereo mikes, nice if you want a smaller camera for the family stuff. I like mine a lot, but from what I'm reading it isn't quite in the same league as the XL-2. But for $1,850 (at B&H) it would leave enough to add a mattebox and other accessories so the guys at "Bob's Used Cars" won't laugh at you ;-) You could use a product like DVFilm Maker. to acheive the 24p effect in post.

Of course you get what you pay for, and if the XL-2 is within your budget you might want to wait and see some reviews after people get their hands on one, it sounds like quite a nice camera to me.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #453
Air China Pilot

Who do you work for Michael? Rainmaker?

I bought some XL1 accessories from a fellow from Rainmaker.
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #454
Major Player

If native 24p is a must, and $5,000 is too much (...it is), the DVX100/100A is gonna be your bag.

If you could save 24P for post (which you probably don't wanna do), check out the PDX-10, which is essentially the GS400 minus Cinegamma, plus XLR and DVCAM, or the AG-DVC30, which is Pana's in-between model. It has the ability to add an XLR breakaway box. The DVC60 is basically the DVC30 in a shoulder-mount style with a smaller LCD and built in XLR. And then there are the VX2100, and PD170 (VX2100 plus XLR and DVCAM), which are Sony's other top cams.

Yeah, you probably won't look too professional on a shoot with the PDX-10 or the GS400 because they are so small, but believe it or not, they have the best 16:9 of the bunch, and are loaded with pro features...

BTW - I used to watch Andromeda all the time, but they kept moving it to later and later on Saturday nights, and I couldn't keep up...did Dylan reunite the commonwealth? Slipstream was cool...good job...uh oh this post is moving into non-DV territory :)
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:46 PM   #455
Wrangler

I have nothing to add except to bitch about another show ruining the name "Dylan" for me (the first being 90210). Now I keep hearing all these mothers screaming my name at their ill-bred kids.
I've been waiting years to get that off my chest.
Otherwise, I like the show.

Anyway...
I'd put my vote in for the DVX100 as the best choice in your price range. I have to point out, people may laugh at you showing up to a commercial shoot with anything smaller than a shoulderbrick.
Yes, even with a mattebox.

Old July 31st, 2004, 07:19 AM   #456
New Boot

Thanks for the replies guys. I just wish the native widescreen on the DVX was as slick as the rest of that camera.

As far as my VFx work goes. We have a small in-house VFX facility onsite, we send very few shots out of house anymore, I think Rainmaker is just doing our telecine and output these days.

And yeah, Dylan reunited the commonwealth, then it got corrurpt, then at the end of last season everyone seemed to have died fighting the 'magog'.

Mike.
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:22 PM   #457
Major Player

You're obviously going to be using the DVX for professional work, so an anamorphic adaptor should pay itself off pretty quickly, and that way you're getting a high quality 16:9 along with all those other great features.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM   #458
New Boot

I'm taking a closer look at the DVX100A, as the xl2 20x lens bottoms out at 42mm wide angle. Adding the xl1 3x wide would put the xl2 way up there in price.

The DVX100A has a canadian dollar msrp of 5675 which is 4250 usd. I assume it will be available cheaper in stores, I only hope that it will be as cheap as b+h.

Mike
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM   #459
Wrangler

Micheal, it's cheaper than that for sure. Even if you bought it localy at LLSR, Matrix or Leo's, you shouldn't pay more than $5,000cdn for it before tax.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:29 PM   #460
New Boot

would you recommend buying locally then? I found http://www.dvshop.ca and they seem to have decent prices...

Mike
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:19 AM   #461
New Boot

Which camera

Im in a bit of a pickly guys.Im not sure what camera i should get,im leaning towards the vx-2100, but i was also thinking of the gl2.I know they both have there good points,but i need a bit of help on this one. Im open for all suggestions, or anything like that. Anything would help, thank you
Evan Fullwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM   #462
Major Player

Which might you value more, light sensitivity (VX) or zoom length (GL2)?
The VX seems to be of a more sturdier build, the GL2 more plasticky.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:10 AM   #463
Wrangler

For most people on the forum, the best bet is one of the forum sponsors, like B&H, ZGC, or Zots. Being in Canada, you may have issues if you have to ship the camera back and forth for any warrenty issues. It WILL be cheaper from one of the sponsors coming in from the USA, but the local shops will be able to give you instant customer service. I'm not a fan of Leos (cough-still camera nerds-cough), but really like the way Lorne Lapham treats me. They are pro all the way. Still, you could probably save $500 by buying it from B&H.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #464
Regular Crew

There is also frame mode on GL2, but VX has also his strenghts. The best recipe is try&buy. I was shooting with (company's)PD150(VX2000 on steroids:-)) and finally choosed for myself XM2(GL2), and never regreted for a bit.
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM   #465
Regular Crew

I had this same predic. Then I found out that the only true progressive shooting mode that the vx2100 has is 15 frames per second. How "15p" could create at all decent footage escapes me. Since the 30p look was what I really wanted in my new camera, I went with the gl2. I agree with you though, the vx2100 does look more durable.
Thomas Smith Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion