The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 51 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 30th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #751
Trustee

I have done it half a dozen times, the last time with my Sony FX1 - a rather large camera.

The fact is that you really don't stray too far from a car or some form of transportation all that often. So it does not really matter that the camera is large. Unless you are planning on taking it under water, which camera is really a no-brainer. Take the better one. If you are going to take it on a small boat, you might want to give some thought to taking one that you won't mind losing.

Which island are you going to?
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #752
Major Player

maui and the big island. We'll be doing some hiking.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #753
Trustee

Then the most imprtant thing is to find a comfortable bag to carry the camera in.

I will be going to Greece in a few weeks and I think I finally found a bag just big enough for the camera. I don't want to carry everything with me every day. Just the camera and a polarizing lens. And one extra tape.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #754
Inner Circle

2 years ago I was in Maui doing a corporate job-seminars, some around the pool, some inside etc :-)...anyway since my wife was with me and we were there for 10 days we figured we use some of the down time to explore on our own. Great fun! Point is I had a PD150 with me at ALL times. I used it for the paying work and also for my own purposes. I didn't feel it was too big or awkward at all.

AAMOF, goning back next year to the big island for the same company to do the job again! Can't wait!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM   #755
Major Player

If it was me I would take the smaller and cheaper one.

1. You can be more relaxed about shooting.
2. Your wife and kids(?) can use it easily too. Vacations are supposed to be fun. Maybe you will find another movie-maker in the family?
3. It is easier to bring with you when you take that helicopter trip around Maui.
4. Easier to take with you when you ride bicycles down from the top of Haleakala.
5. Easier to hide in your car or hotel room. It will not attract undue attention to your stuff.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM   #756
Trustee

On the other hand, if you frame some really good shots, you might wish you had your better camera. It is a tough decision. I carry both, since I use my little camera to rewind and tension tapes for my Sony FX1. If I actually needed the smaller one, I would have it anyway. It fits in the bag with my FX1, as does my still camera. But the bag is too heavy for hiking.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:38 AM   #757
Wrangler

i recently took my gl2 to oahu, and i purchased a splash bag (underwater housing) for it, thinking that i would try my hand at some underwater video.

the best thing about the splash bag turned out to be how it protected my camera from sand, not water. i could keep the camera out on the beach and capture footage at will, without worrying about sand infecting it.

out of the water, the bag's lens viewer actually functioned as a warming filter and helped me film some beautiful shots of the kids. it was only a vacation video, but the skin detail was outstanding.

for beach use, i highly recommend a splash bag.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #758
Major Player

Advice for durable, light, quality cam.

Total newbi hear who needs advice on an upgrade.

I am just a hack videographer who really enjoys making vids of the backcountry ski trips I have been doing this year. But my silly Canon ZR80 needs to be upgraded.

I am looking for a durable 3ccd cam that is not huge, relatively light, and will shoot a better image than my Canon. I was thinking the Panasonic AG DVC30 might fit that bill. I also don't want to spend 5 grand on a cam because the places I go, they tend to see some heavy abuse.

Any opinions?

To give you an idea of the terrain we are filming, watch a couple of these hacker vids I have made this year.

http://fritzrips.com/pfeifflow.wmv

http://fritzrips.com/twinpeakslow.wmv

Thanks in advance. Great forum here.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #759
Wrangler

I hear good things about the DVC-30 also. Only drawback is the lack of a high resolution 16:9 mode. You might also consider the Sony PDX-10. It has XLR inputs, a short shotgun mike, DVCAM recording, BW viewfinder and shoots excellent 16:9. B&H is selling for $1,600 after rebate.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #760
Major Player

Panny gs-400. Small, lightweight, manual focus and iris ring, 4MP camera too.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #761
Trustee

The GS250 is around 1#. The 150,250, and 400 are top loaders. So, if you got a monopod, can change tapes while mounted .
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #762
Major Player

Panasonic GS or Canon Optura...

Great taste in music!
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #763
Major Player

Wow!

Please tell us the location? That was beautiful. You guys are nuts, BTW! Did the camera leap-frog down the mountain from skier to skier, so the first person could always shoot the next?

Hope I'm not getting too far off topic :)
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #764
Major Player

Location was the Pfeifferhorn near Alta, Utah. The camcorder didn't leap frog, I filmed when I could.

Thanks for the advice.
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #765
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Panny gs-400. Small, lightweight, manual focus and iris ring, 4MP camera too.
How is the image quality on this compared to the dvc30 in normal lighting?
Derek Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion