The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 16th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1441
Trustee

Which camera FX1 Z1,V1

I own a Sony PD170 and I am about to up grade.
I live in Australia.
What I want is the something like the Sony PD170 with true 16.9 HDV..
Which camera do I get
Z1
V1
FX1

I keep going back an forth between these cams and have read all I can here on this site.
V1 and FX1 is about a $1000 cheaper,
Does the rolling shutter of the VI cause any concern?
How much differance between 3lux Z1 and 4lux V1? could someone explain this for me.
Regards
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1442
Regular Crew

as you know the 170 can see in the dark....

The V1 was to be the replacement for the 170 but the low light capability
is not there due to the 1/4 sensor... but it has great daylight capabilities...

The Z1 is being replaced with the Z7, and the Z7 will have good low light
capability...

The cameras are changing so quickly that I'd just get an intermediate camera until things start to settle in...

So, I'd suggest a Canon HV20 and just use it and set back and wait for the dust to settle...

Sony is bringing out the guns... we haven't heard from the othe players yet..
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #1443
Inner Circle

I have the FX1 and the HV20. I know enough about the rolling shutter issue from it to say it isn't a big deal. As with any camera, you need to work with the issues to shoot your best. And if sports or nature is whant you are into, you will want the 20x lens on the V1 that can go 30x extended.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1444
Trustee

Need good camera for small studio in School

We are building a small news desk studio in a school environment. Flourescent studio lights, teleprompter, a couple of wireless mics, tripod on heavy duty bogen wheels, etc.

We will feed into an analog switcher.

Is there a good camera choice (maybe SD) for this kind of setup that might cost no more than around $2000.

The cameras I can think of myself are Sony PD170, Sony DSR250 and Canon XH-A1.

However, is there something (maybe SD that would give a good analog signal (maybe even used) and a little cheaper that would be good for this. It is a real production studio but also a teaching environment.

It was also a thought that a bigger, older camera might not only be fairly inexpensive, but would be less likely to be stolen.

As a side note, are there locking tripod mounts that make it impossible to steal a camera unless the whole tripod is dragged along with it?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #1445
Regular Crew

UK Camera advice

A friend of mine is a performer of Middle Eastern music, and I have gotten her interested in making short movies of their performances, with a Mac I gave her (using iLife '06).

She lives in the UK and has decided she wants to invest in a good consumer camcorder for this, and has mentioned the JVC GZ-MG575EK but having used Macs/iMovie a lot I am really wedded to the reliability of Mini-DV+Firewire on a Mac (+robust transport control, inherrent back-up with the DV tape and so on).

Would anyone like to make some reccomendations for PAL cameras that fit the following criteria:

1. Budget circa UKP500

2. Mini-DV+Firewire (or a great iMovie compatibility experience for a HDD or DVD-based camera)

3. Line-in + headphones (maybe even two line-ins for monural mics or a true stereo mic set-up (unlikely to be a camera with two without getting into XLR territory I expect).

4. 3CCD / good low light performance, she does a lot of gigs in smaller and poorly lit venues.

I'd be really grateful for some ideas, as she has an Arts Council grant deadline looming for this purchase.

TIA

Best,

Paul.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #1446
Inner Circle

The budget's a bit tight and I'm not convinced you'll get all the features wanted at 500 quid (especially good low light performance!)

I don't know it... but what about the Panasonic NVGS320 as it has 3CCD's and seems to be around the price point wanted according to a recent issue of the now defunct Practical Digital Video magazine. Check it's feature list carefully and see if it might be suitable.
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #1447
Major Player

I have a Panny GS75 which is actually well below the budget you mentioned and to be fair it's great in low light conditions and has 3CCD but not many manual controls.

I think the GS series is probably for you. What about the Canon HV20? Then she will get HD, might be a bit over your budget though.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #1448
New Boot

Workflow and camera decision

Hi :)

I am about to either buy a HX-A1 or HVX200 cam for docs. I am new though I have done some practice shooting and editing. After reading endless posts it would seem that the Cannon is going to be fine for my needs with a lower pricetag. I bought my computer and editor with Panasonic in mind and just want to know if there will be any problems.

I edit with FCP on a MacBook Pro 2.2 (x2).

I am aware that FCP is well integrated with Panasonic codecs.

Will I have any trouble with the Cannon?

I have only used JVC in the past and would prefer to avoid a lot of fooling about with pre-edit transcription if possible. I am hoping this is not an issue but am still new and am not 100% sure about such things. I would rather know in advance as it could influence my decision.

Thank you,

Russ
Russ Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1449
MPS Digital Studios

Both are excellent choices and you can't go wrong with either. But I notice shooting in 1080i on the Panasonic tends to have noise around the edges, likely from the native 960 x 540 imager.

Another alternative is the Sony HVR-V1u, which does 30p, 24p and 60i.

Heath
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1450
Contributor

You should have no problem with the XH A1. FCP handles HDV well, and if you want to shoot 24fps progressive with the 24F mode, there is an HDV1080P24 setting you use to capture, drop your footage in a 23.98 timeline and everything stays nice and progressive all the way. Quite a few people are using the Macbook Pro now. If you check the LAFCPUG (Los Angeles FCP User's Group) you'll see some threads about that.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1451
New Boot

Workflow

Thanks Bill...that is just what I was looking for. I am still new enough that workflow problems give me nightmares :)

Russ
Russ Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1452
Trustee

If not HD which camera?

If your not worried about HD which camera would one choose.
The camera would still have to be a hand held maybe no bigger than a Sony Z1. Camera would have to be native 16.9 and good in low light. Pal camera for me as i'm in Australia, balanced audio in,white balance, manual everything, I cant think what else oh yes the most important one under $10 grand.

What do ya think.

Cheers
Simon
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1453
Inner Circle

Are you trying to figure out what camera you should buy, or what cameras other people like?

If it is the former, it would likely be more helpful to specify your needs. Some cameras are particularly suited for certain tasks and not others.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #1454
Trustee

Hi Glen,
I was wondering what other people might be using instead of going down the HD path?
My needs are 16.9, handheld size, pal, able to set manual everything, a general all round camera. I guess i would be looking at something like the Sony PD 170 only with true native 16.9.

Cheers
Simon
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1455
Regular Crew

Hi there,

Well,... if you don t need 'low light' capabilities... : just get a Z1 or XH-A1 and shoot in DV (SD).

You will get a true 16/9, manual everything, and a good "all around camera".

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion