Stupid, stupid, STUPID matte box prices! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 5th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #16
Trustee

Well guys it's funny you should mention making my own and then selling it because that's exactly what I am considering!

I know someone who machines spare parts for classic cars, so I'm going to see what he might be able to do .

Making sure it doesn't vignet on most cameras shouldn't be a problem since my 16:9 lens is pretty darn big.

The most interesting thing about doing this will be that I'll see exactly how much the manufacturing of one of these things really costs!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

Ah, yes, but besides 16:9 adapters, think of fisheye, wide angle, etc. I had this EXACT problem with a DVX100a and the century .6x wide angle adapter, used with a 4x4 Cavision matte box. They swore up and down if I had the bellows all the way collapsed, it wouldn't vignette even with the zoom all the way out, and they were wrong.

The only option would have been to upgrade to a 6x6 box. . .and those sumbitches be expensive. So, go for it, but keep an eye that issue. You could make a KILLING if you could pull it off.

Oh, and how bout cheap 3x3 and 4x4 glass filters while you're at it. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 apiece.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #18
Inner Circle

cokin is making cheap plastic filter holder you could embed into an home made mattebox. I have made some with balsa (very light wood for modelling) and carton sheet and black spray paint.
It cost almost nothing and still looks very pro.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #19
Trustee

Josh I'm told that a lot of places out there will cut glass to 4x4 and 3x3 (and 4x5.65) lengths I think the expense of filters comed in when you try and add diffusion and nd and all of that fun stuff. but if you want just an opticla flat filter for protecting your lens, 5 bucks (ish) would cover it.

Oh and there is a chrosziel mattebox on ebay right now that is supposed to handle all of the rpoblems youa re mentioning.

::note:: I also think matte box prices are rediculously over priced but it seems like the cheaper ones (sub 500) are pretty bad, so what can you do?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #20
Trustee

I noticed the Cokin filter system before, and I have one of their filter holders for my really old hi-8 camera. It's too small for my Optex 16:9, but I had thought about modifying one to make a mock up/proto-type.

One of the hardest things is working out how to make the rotating filter holder.
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #21

it's amazing what one can do with aluminum sheet and gaffers tape. No vignetting problems, either...LOL.

OK, so it looks like sh*t...but, it works.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #22
Trustee

But absolutely no good whatsoever for holding filters in front of a big lens!
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:01 PM   #23
Major Player

Have you gotten any farther on your matte box project?
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #24
Trustee

Hi, yeah, I did make a cardboard mockup of one to test out it's ability to shade the lens. Though so far I have been unable to come up with one that is a managable size but still manages to flag the lens to a decent degree. I am pretty much coming to the conclusion that a native 16:9 camera may be the only way to go!
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:09 PM   #25
Trustee

Try the Cavision, reasonable quality 3x3 will cost you $250 and a 4x4 approx $500.
www.cavision.com

You can also do a search, i know i written reams about them myself

Now if you take a good look at the complexity of the product and factor in it's limited market you should understand. Everyone including you want to be properly reimbursed for your time. Now heaven forbid that we cannot buy quality camera gear at wally world pricing.

Gear such a good tripods, filters, mics, mixers and even matte boxes cost a fair bit, but if done right it's an investment for many years of trouble free use. When you finall sell the product, you can often recoup almost what you paid for it. Now crap will wind up in the dumper in short order but quality equipment is always a long term investment.

I chuckle when someone works overtime on a holdiday getting double bubble or more then cries about paying for quality merchandise.

We'll always have our hewers of wood and weekend engineers that will either knit a bellows or construct a softbox with 2x4's and 6" spikes. It's almost a rite of passage. thankfully I'm beyond that now. I'm an old fart and i buy what i want even if I have to sell the wifes car (beas winks knowingly)
Old August 31st, 2004, 05:19 PM   #26
Trustee

$250 isn't too bad. But some of the prices for the others were waaaaaaay overboard. I don't have any trouble paying for quality stuff. God knows I've spent enough on basic stuff this year just to keep up with technology and to offer a better service. But with some of the Matte boxes on offer I just couldn't see where that money was going to. Even a basic sunshade seems to cost the earth from some places.

Now a full matte/filter holder I can understand more so in terms of mechanics in being able to offer a rotational filter holder etc. But just a simple sunshade for example shouldn't cost the earth. Similarly I'm at pains to understand why the filters themselves cost the earth. For sure it's a limited market. They price themselves out of it!
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM   #27
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Simon Wyndham : But absolutely no good whatsoever for holding filters in front of a big lens! -->>>

Simply tape the glass filters right onto your lens hood!
I've seen it done on pro shoots, honest!
Seen the aluminum foil (ok, blackwrap really) and tape been used too.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM   #28
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's no joke, actually! Still photographers using rectangular filters (ex: ND grads) and lacking a drop-in holder use gaffers tape all the time. It looks butt-ugly but gets the job done.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 01:59 PM   #29

whaddaya think they make gaffers tape for?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Getting their gaf on?
Thomas Smith Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion