PC to MAC? Vegas to FCP? Television station called today..Thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Major Player

PC to MAC? Vegas to FCP? Television station called today..Thoughts?

I got a call today from my local community television station. They were wondering if I would be interested in being a Producer for thier station. It seems the station is short of funding and is in dire need of help at a whopping yearly salary of $0.

They are willing to traing me in editing on FCP with a MAC amongst other things, ie studio lighting, field audio, etc... I am thinking this is an excellent oppurtunity for me to learn more about video and editing. They want me to be a producer and shoot some shorts that they can air too! How cool!

The question i have is, I am a very literate PC user having only touched a MAC once in my life. I am slowly learning Vegas Pro. Will the editing foundation be the same for both softwares?

In other words do you foresee a huge learning curve going between the MACS and FCP at the station and Sony Vegas -PC format in my "other life"

OR

IS this gonna wanna make me go out and get a MAC and FCP? lol
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
The biggest issue moving between edit systems is the little things like logic and context. My migration to FCP 1.0.2 from AVID Media Composer (back in the $60k days) was frustrating but now I teach FCP...

I've edited on FCP, AVID (in various incarnations) and Media 100 and STILL cannot be productive on Premiere. I believe that each software suite should be approached as a "new" learning experience rather than trying to "translate" one function to another.

The nice thing about FCP is that there are USUALLY several different ways of doing the same thing: FCP started out as a consumerish piece of software designed to edit DV and has (through usage and innovation) become a power professional tool and therefore tries to "be all things to all people".
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Sounds like a great opportunity if that's something you believe will help you move in the direction that you want to go. Don't fret over the platform and application issue. It will be awkward at first because everything is different. Frankly, the more proficient your are with your current environment, the more aggravating it will be. It's a bit like learning a second language; you don't forget your first.

FCP is a good NLE and won't hold you back after you adjust to it. Just reserve judgment about how "good or bad" it is until you develop some proficiency with it. Otherwise you may confuse "different" from "bad."
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Wrangler

The learning curve will be in the small details. That's what will drive you nuts. Despite similar features, FCP/Mac has a very different workflow from Vegas/PC. So it's definitely worth it to take a good training class get up and running quickly. As Shaun mentioned, it's a good idea to approach FCP/Mac as a "new" experience.
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As Michael allude, the small details will be things like:
"But I pressed the key to make <insert action here>, why didn't it?"

Answer: FCP probably did but the "wrong" window was active. Actions if FCP are almost always exclusive to the active window (the exception being some Timeline actions directly affect the Viewer and vice versa)
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
I am thinking this is an excellent oppurtunity for me to learn more about video and editing.
It is.

If you have the time, it's often good to take advantage of an opportunity to learn something. Look at it this way: If you took a class on FCP, it would probably cost you something. In this case you're getting it for free.

While I'm not keen on having people work for free, in this case it's a chance to learn something that would prove handy. Try to avoid pre-conceived notions about how it should work, and try to understand how it does work.

The fundamentals are the same. As Michael said, it's the details that will get to you for a while.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Dean,

My thoughts exactly, I have since learned there are two Sony VEgas Gurus at the station that use SONY PRO personally and guess what!!!! One of them works for Sony Creative services Corporate in the Service dept... NETWORKING....Thats what its all about! You can bet that i will be bending his ear!

IF i had taken a class it would have cost money yes, I will learn in exchange for the fruits of my labor! AND i will meet others that can help me remedially too!

Its a win win situation for me.... (if i can handle the politics)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion