Mixing Betacam with Mini-DV???? Doable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Mixing Betacam with Mini-DV???? Doable?

I am going to be shooting a wedding this weekend and my associate who will be helping me has access to a Betacam from the local TV station if he wants.

Currently he is b-roll using my Sony TRV38.

I am using a Canon GL2.

Will the footage from a GL2 and betacam even remotely be usable together or should he just stick to using the TRV38?

Thanks
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Contributor

Betacam is a format, comparable to DV. Some say DV shot with the same camera looks a bit better. It's not about the format, it's about which camera is used. If your friend is going to be using a TV station camera, it's probably a 2/3" chip dockable and will look significantly better than your 1/4" GL2. However, if he shoots mostly wide shots with the TV station gear, and you shoot closeups with the GL2, you can maybe get by with it. Compared to a 2/3" chip camera with professional lens, your GL2 will look a lot softer.
On the other hand, if it is a cable station in a small town and they are one of those unfortunates who happen to have the UVW100 Betacam camcorder, then your GL2 might look pretty good in comparison, especially if there's low light involved.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

ALright, I guess the next question is, what is the easiest way to get the footage on my computer?

Do most betacams have analog out? Can I just run that through my Canon GL2 analog to digital converter?

PS the camera he will be using is a Sony BVW-400 Betacam SP.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Contributor

The BVW400 is excellent. It probably does not have playback; most of the Betacam camcorders did not, except through the viewfinder or through an overpriced Sony playback device with bad quality. I'd say your easiest thing to do would be to go to a dub house that has a Betacam deck with component out and a DV deck with component in and have the tapes dubbed. I've done lots of transfers between Betacam SP on a UVW1800 via component to a DSR1800, and the quality is almost indistinguishable from the original. Second best quality would be to do it via S-video. Worst quality would be via composite video, but it would look softer and closer to your GL2 that way, so that might be desirable.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion