Sony NP-FM70 won't fully charge. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 11th, 2004, 04:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony NP-FM70 won't fully charge.

Since yesterday, my Sony NP-FM70 battery (original Sony, bought it with my TRV-60) won't fully charge.... After about 15 minutes the yellow LED on the charger goes out and the battery has only 10% power....

Draining and charging again has no effect. Is there a way to charge the damn thing, circumventing the built in 'meter' ?
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Bram,

I don't think there is a way to bypass your in camera charger without an external unit.

How old is the battery?

What was your charge/discharge habits like (full discharge before recharge or recharge with some charge left)?

cheers,
Peter
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,

The battery is about one year old. Normally I use the camera till the battery is completely depleted (so the "low batt" indicator blinks). Then I fully charge it with the original Sony battery charger.

The other battery (half the power/size) has no problem whatsoever.

I'll try to manually charge it then....
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The thing about Li-Ion batteries is that they don't usually like being fully discharged before being charged again - unlike NiCD or NiMh batteries.

However, since your battery is only one year old I wouldn't expect it to be in the condition you describe (as LiIon batteries last around ~500 full discharge/charge cycles) unless you've been using it everyday for the past year.

If your other battery doesn't suffer the same problem, then it is more than likely the FM70 battery that has an inherent issue, rather than your camera.

Peter
Peter TK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorry Bram, it seems you need new battery. I also had a F330 which had troubles you dicribed, aftey year and half. I tried everything, but battery had just about 15-20 mins power.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion