Super Size Me filmed with DVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 16th, 2004, 02:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Super Size Me filmed with DVX?

It looks like a DVX100 to me. Anyone know????

http://www.supersizeme.com/images/gallery/movieStills/large/a125_soefer_texas_production.jpg
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #2
New Boot

The Cam Says Sony..... enough said :P
Old October 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Major Player

How can that possibly look like a DVX?? lol

It's a Sony PD150
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, it was shot with the Sony PDVX100 ;)
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5
Major Player

hybred...ahhhhhhhhhh.....cool LOL
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Major Player

I just rented Supersize Me yesterday. It was shot with a PD-150 using the built-in 16/9 widescreen mode rather than an anamorphic adapter. I found the info in a Film Maker magazine interview. You can see the lack of resolution in it pretty easily on a mid-sized television. It couldn't have looked that great in theaters. An entertaining and informative piece none-the-less!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #7
Trustee

I saw it in the theater and thought it was a very well done filmout. It didn't look bad at all. Yes you could tell what it was, but it was not bad at all.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #8
Major Player

you mean to say the film was shot on PD150 and then was transferred onto 35mm film for theatrical realeases....was the image sharp and colour fine...as far as i know of a company which informed that the video to film transfer is not sharp & would loose colour etc on blowout on silver sreen !!! i am curious to know more on this subject as i have a story in my mind which i want to shoot on dv200 later to be transferred on to 35mm for commercial theatrical realeases !!!!!

Waiting !!!
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #9
Contributor

Bankim, many movies have been transferred to 35mm for theatrical projection that were shot with 1/3" chip cameras. In my opinion the best one was "The King Is Alive." Also, "Tadpole" was shot with PD150s. "The Anniversary Party" was shot with DSR500's, but I thought "The King Is Alive" looked better even though it was shot with PD150s. "Spellbound," is a documentary that was shot with an XL1 and nominated for an Academy Award two years ago.

Anything transferred from DV is not going to look like 35mm film, but it can be perfectly acceptable for theatrical projection.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Bill. Is there any web space where I can visit & learn more on the same subject with examples of similar achivements !!!

;o)
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Contributor

Some time ago Res Magazine published a list of DV-made movies, but I don't know if it's still current. You might track down their web site.
Some other earlier films that were very good that I can think of at the moment include Hal Hartley's "Book of Life," which was shot with a VX1000 in 1999; "Chuck and Buck," also shot with a VX1000 about the same time. I saw "Chuck and Buck" theatrically and then again later on HBO or Showtime, I think. It looked pretty good in the theater and great on TV, even though it was shot with the first "prosumer" camera. Agnes Varda shot a part of "The Gleaners & I" with a TRV900 and the rest with a 2/3" chip DVCAM camera. I also saw it theatricall and on TV. It looked very good, and I consider it one of the great documentaries (of course I consider anything she does to be great). Another really nice documentary is "The Saltmen of Tibet." It was also shot with a VX1000. "Dancer in the Dark" (Lars Von Trier) was shot with Digibeta cameras, but all the dance sequences were shot with PD100s with anamorphic lens adapters. It won the Palme d'Or 2 or 3 years ago. I think most all these movies are now available on DVD. Von Trier's most recent, "Dogville," is also now out on DVD. I believe it was shot HD.

My feeling is that DV is a nice medium for low budget films with good stories and good characters. You wouldn't want to go out and shoot a typical western movie in DV. I think DV is good enough for anything that's going direct to TV or video, which is where most micro budget things go anyway, assuming they go anywhere.

If it's a good enough story to get distribution, it'll fly no matter what it's shot on. If it's a crappy story, 35mm isn't going to help it much. From all I've heard, the connections you have in the industry will get you a lot closer to distribution than the format you shoot.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Bill Thanks again !
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #13
Major Player

DV Movie list

If you go to the Internet Movie Data Base

http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical

You will get this message:
"Technical Searcher
Enter a word to search for in the technical sections"

Use the third search box down on the left side, titled. "Search Again".

I put in "DVX100" and got over fifty hits. "PD150" came up with 69 hits. You can also put in "DV" or "Digital Video".
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #14
Major Player

but hey when i did the search it gave me the list of ll the films starting or carrying th words i had set in as key search rather than giving me the list of films shot on with PDs or DVXs.

May be i might be doing somethign wrong there if it needs to be corrected I wait for your another post !!!
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM   #15
Major Player

I just tried it again and it worked for me. Like I said, be sure to use the third search box on the left, just below the words, "Search Again".
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion