Here is a litte "teaser" I made.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 24th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Here is a litte "teaser" I made....

I put togheter a few skateboard clips which Ive filmed....Im sure Im way under the level that you guys are at, but hey, Im only 17 and been doing this about a year now.
Hopefully with some help and luck I will be able to make full lenght videos in the future:)

It only last 53 seconds, nothing special....here is the link:

http://www.singlereel.com/directory/clip-18398.html

P.S. Please give me any tips that u might have.
It's all been shot longlense too, since I don't have a fisheye at the moment.
Marius Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 05:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The first link in the topic don't work, use the following link to view my 56sec of what I like to film:)

http://www.singlereel.com/directory/clip-18402.html
Old August 24th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I still can't get anything off that 2nd link, maybe due to the new QT6 I'm running?
Old August 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #4
Air China Pilot

I liked it. Good choice of music. Playful.

The stair stepping I guess you could have avoided by not shooting all those angles.

I like the interlude with the hotties walking around.

My favourite shot was where the guy jumped up into the light. Too bad there wasn't a bit more sun source. You could have had a nice lens flare.
Old August 24th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #5
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

Couldn't get it to play either. I'm using the latest Quicktime as well. The page loads but no video ever comes up.

Revolver1010.
Revolver1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 09:51 PM   #6

Played just fine for me on my laptop via my cable modem at 300K using Quicktime.

What camera did you use? What lens?

I immediately noticed that you are mindful of not zooming while you are shooting, that is good - more cinematic than zooming in and out - I like the way that you treat your zoom lens as if it were a prime (fixed focal length lens). I would have used a tripod on some of those shots, at least a Tiffen SteadyStick
< http://www.tiffen.com/SteadyStick.htm >
I use the SteadyStick very frequently and I love it, I use it with handycams and larger shoulder-mount DVCams.

Reminds me of when I used to shoot for Resort Sports Network ( rsn.com ), used to shoot all kinds of sports, especially skiing and snowboarding, did some skateboarding shoots too for John Jealous from the Mount Washington Valley. All too often, I had to go handheld (SteadyStick was not available at the time) especially for the ski and snowboard fooatge since I too would be on a pair of skiis or snowboard! We had a Panasonic SuperCam back then (more of the size of a BetaCam camciorder). If only we had GL1's back then!

If you are using a camera with a 58mm screw-on thread mount, I recommend you pick up the Century Optics .55x "Reversible" Wide Angle Adaptor. Screw it on and it is a .55x wide with no chromatic aberrations to speak of (high quality glass), flip it around and screw it on the other way and it is a nice wiiiiide fish-eye - perfect for skateboarding effects.

Keep in touch!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2002, 11:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I got it, I just had to be more patient. Good stuff. It's hard to anticipate the "action zone" for a quick moving shot. That spill at the end made me feel glad I played football when I was younger, at least I had pads!
Old August 25th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nice "logo" lead shot with that scratched film-look filter. Good shot framing on a hard subject to follow. Some pro-quality camera moves in there. I might consider dropping the split-screen shot in favor of 30 frames of a tight shot of the person. Also, perhaps a tighter shot on the "hoties'" faces for reaction to the skateboarders would give more emotion to the clip. (Yes, I know that cropping the shot to their faces would diminish the general appeal of the shot.)

Urban skateboarders drive me crazy. But I enjoyed watching your clip. Nice work.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 04:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into the tips.
On that little teaser I used a Sony VX1000 and a Canon Elura10.
Im saving up for the Century .3x fisheye now so when then come I will shoot way more closer to the action!
Old August 25th, 2002, 04:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into the tips.
On that little teaser I used a Sony VX1000 and a Canon Elura10.
Im saving up for the Century .3x fisheye now so when then come I will shoot way more closer to the action!
I'll try getting a hold of a steady-stick for sure, sounded like a smart thing to have.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old August 28th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #11

That was an enjoyable little piece. Like Keith said, the interlude was especially nice. That guy that wiped out in the last shot -- looked like too much of that could impair one's future plans for having children! ;o)
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion