VX1000 Output to Mac NLE? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Major Player

VX1000 Output to Mac NLE?

I want to give someone an old, but clean Sony VX1000 (no manual), just to get him started. It came my way a while back, but I have never used it. The person I want to give it to has a 1.25 GHz iMac, iMovie and Final Cut Express, I think. I don't see any firewire port on the VX1000 and I want to be able to tell him how to edit on his iMac. How the heck can you do this? Does the VX1000 predate home computer NLE's?
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I suppose he could get a cheap (used) camcorder to ingest footage. This is probably easiest?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM   #3
Major Player

The VX-1000 has the "iLink" (Sony's name for firewire), it just isn't with the other outputs. It is in the back of the camera.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Shane. I've been spending a lot of time with this. I finally ended up having an IMS-type "chat" with a tech support guy at Sony. Here:
-------------------------
Problem : I wish to edit the video on my computer (Final Cut Pro), but I can't figure out from the manual how to connect the VX1000 to my iMac.

Michael_ > Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support. I will be glad to assist you.

Jack > Did you get my question?

Michael_ > What is the version of the operating system installed in your computer?

Jack > OSX 10.3.5

(LONG PAUSE)

Jack > Hello?

Michael_ > Jack, the DCR-VX1000 camcorder does not have USB connection.

Michael_ > I suggest that you use the IEEE1394/i.LINK connection to connect to a computer.

Michael_ > Does your computer have an IEEE1394/i.LINK/Firewire port?

Jack > OK, I understand that iLink = Firewire (Mac). Where is the iLink port on the VX1000?

Jack > I have two FW 400 ports on the iMac.

Jack > I have read the cam manual twice and can find no reference to iLink.

Michael_ > Jack, please refer page 54 of the instruction manual for locating the i.LINK or DV port.

Jack > Editing onto another tape using DV In/Out

Michael_ > Yes, you can see the port shown in the diagram.

Jack > OK. That DV in/out port is iLink? It doesn't resemble a Firewire port.

Michael_ > Yes, it is the i.LINK/Firewire port.

Jack > Do I need adapter cable for iLink to Firewire? My Firewire cables that I now have would not fit in that port, nor would the supplied VX1000 cable fit in my iMac Firewire port.

Michael_ > The cables that are supplied with the camcorder are A/V cable and S-Video cable.

Jack > I got the camera used, so I didn't know that cable wasn't original OEM. The cable I have that fits iLink port has plug 3/16" x 1/8", roughly shaped like the letter "C". Firewire plug is 7/16" x 3/16" roughly shaped like letter "U".

(LOOONG PAUSE)

Jack > OK MIchael, I'm going to assume you're to busy to help solve this, so I'm going to log off. If there is an answer to my question re: Firewire/iLink adapter, please email me.

Michael_ > I suggest that you connect the camcorder to your computer through the i.LINK port.
-------------------------
Hmmm....

So does the DV In/Out port on the cam = iLink = Firewire? Do I need an adapter?
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My bad, if your camera has a firewire port then you don't need another camcorder.

iLink = firewire = IEEE1394(a)
Your camera may have a 4-pin firewire port.

Below is a picture of a 4pin-6pin firewire cable. The male end is on the cable, the female end on your camera.

http://www.elx.com.au/images/products/full/RC39642.jpg
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Shane,
Thank you Glenn,

That is EXACTLY the cable I need! I thought I was going nuts, or getting stupid in my old age.

EDIT: I just checked my local Radio Shack and they have it in stock. Yahoo!
Old November 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You can get a much better price off newegg.com
newegg.com should ship fast... check their resellerratings.com

$15 for FW card + cable, less for just the cable.

I hate Radio Shack... those bastards try to sell you an extended warranty on a overpriced cable. The cable has a lifetime warranty.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:15 AM   #8
Major Player

Glenn,

Thanks again. Radio Shack was $20 for the cable, NewEgg was $7. There was actually a cheaper one ($4), but some buyer had complained about dropouts using it, so I opted for the gold-plated "expensive" one.

If our election doesn't go as I hope later today, I may be running into you in Toronto. Montreal is also a possibility, because I won't stay here.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion