Capturing PD150 tape using a Canon ZR. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing PD150 tape using a Canon ZR.

I'm looking for a bit of informational help, trying to troubleshoot a capturing issue.

I'm using a Canon ZR25 as a deck to capture from a cassette shot by a non-video-exper client that was using a PD150. The image playback is clear, but I'm getting no audio.

The client (3000 miles away) is "pretty sure" the audio should be fine, but "isn't sure" if the PD150 was recording in DV or DVCAM mode.

Is it possible that this is a DVCAM-on-a-DV-playback-device issue?
... or would I not see anything at all if the tape was in DVCAM and perhaps the real problem is that there is, in fact, no audio on this tape?

I'd just like to get some opinions before maybe outsourcing a DVCAM capture so I can edit this for a DVD production.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Nick,

Hi. Well what you say the client is not sure whether the footage ws shot on Dv or DVCAM mode.

Well you can check it like this.

The Canon Player you re using does shot proper Video. Now is yourcnon a DV only Player or a DVCAM player.

Possibility One : If you Canon is V only player then the footage you are playing is recorded in DV format

Possibility Two : If you canon is a DVCAM player then you have to look at the duration oif the taoe you are playing...if the miniDV footage is over 40minutes then it surely is recorded in DV format as on a mniDV tape if you record in DVCAM formt then it wont rcord over 40minutes as DVCAM tape recording speed is fats & it takes more space in terms of micron on Tape.

In any case if you get Video OK and no Audio then there are chances that our cleint may have not recorded any audio at all. Also check with your client if he has recorded Audio in 32hz or 48Hz as if he records in 32Hz then he might hve recorded audio on ch 3/4 and your Canon is no able to read tht.

I sy this from the exp i have using my PD150 i lwys recor it on DV only format as it records more video & at the same quality of DVCAM recording done on PD150.

I hope it helps you (though quite confusing !!!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion