Please help me in writing my script at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please help me in writing my script

I am currently writing a script for a television serial, 30 episodes in length with 40-45 minutes each episode. Now I don't know how many pages would fit each episode, would I need 50 or 60 or even more or less??

I know that certain scenes described can last longer than others, but roughly how many pages would you give an episode running for 45 minutes??

Cheers...
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can't say. Theory is that one page equals one minute. But that's just theory, it really depends on the scenes. My first short was 2.5 pages, and 5 minutes long, and my second was 13 pages, and the film was 28 minutes long...
Now, that's maybe coincidence because they still teach me one page equals one minute :-p.

Good luck with the writing!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3
Major Player

The rule of thumb of one page = one minute is based on an industry standard script format, which will have wide margins (for notes) and lots of double spaces between the action, dialogue, camera directions, etc. If you have been simply typing out single spaced sheets, then you are naturally going to need fewer pages to get to a specific time.

The longer the script, the more accurate the rule is likely to be. If you a making a five minute short, then it could be four pages or it could be seven.

The more you describe camera action, the less time page will take up. The more dialogue and /or action, the more time the page will take.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:11 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Just to note that TV shows seem to have more acts (at least that
is what some of my Star Trek writing books seem to tell me), for
example, Star Trek Deep Space 9 had the following structure:

- Teaser
(show intro)
- Act 1
- Act 2
- Act 3
- Act 4
- Act 5

Mainly due to commercial breaks, ofcourse. Not sure about time,
but I believe a normal TV show is just under 45 minutes to allow
for 15 minutes of commercials to get to a full hour?

If you have a screenwriting program like Final Draft, it comes
with some TV scripts as samples.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot guys for all of your advice, it really helped :-)
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #6
Major Player

The standard tends to be about 30 pages in a teaser and 3 acts for a 1/2 hour show and 60 pages in a teaser and 4 acts for an hour show, even though the shows themselves run less than that. Some shows are shorter and some are longer, it usually depends on the format of the show and how fast people generally talk. For instance, I wrote a West Wing script for AFF this year, and before I started I read a lot of West Wing scripts to get in the vibe. Those tended to run 60 to 75 pages because the show is known for having a lot of dialogue spoken very, very quickly. On the other hand, if you're going to have a show that is mostly visuals with little dialogue, your script is going to come in short.

My first short was 20 pages, but only 13 min. long. My third short was 10 pages, but only 7 min. long. My West Wing script was supposed to be 60 min. long but was 75 pages.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #7
Major Player

I love The West Wing. The production values are amazing in this age of Reality Crapola. BTW, what is AFF?
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #8
Major Player

AFF is the Austin Film Festival. It's the premier screenwriting festival in the US, one of the only ones that puts the emphasis on the writing above everything else.

On top of the regular film festival, they also have a screenplay festival and for the past five years, a teleplay festival split in two categories-30 min. sitcom and 60 min. drama.

They get about 500 entrants into each category. They narrow that down to 50. They take 10 of those 50 into the semi-finals, and 5 of those 10 into the finals.

Because of esteem of the festival, a lot of producers and agents are there and they tend sign the winners up pretty quick (I believe the first teleplay winner from 5 years ago is writing for South Park now).

My West Wing script made it to the second round, but no further (but I still feel good about it). They gave me a 'Second Rounder' badge and I got a couple of discussions with agents from small firms (I tried to talk to the ICM people, but they wanted nothing to do with me) and a producer at NBC and Carsey-Werner. Still waiting to see if anything comes from it.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion