Frame Rate and Interlace/Progressive Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 12th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #1
Photographer

Frame Rate and Interlace/Progressive Question

I've been one of the top commercial still shooters in the country for over 20 years. Several of my clients have asked me to shoot digital video for them on their projects. I got my XL2 yesterday and have been pouring over the manual and the unit.

I'll be shooting building product applications, generally in outdoor scenarios. The footage will be used in a number of ways, instructional DVD, streaming video on their website, etc.

I'm not intimidated compositionally by this new challenge, but I want to make sure I capture it in the proper mode. What frame rate do I want to use? Do I shoot interlaced or progressive? The XL2 gives me a few more options over my GL1 (LOL)! I want to make sure all the buttons are set right and I don't look like a schmuck.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Regards,

Jim Wilson
JWilsonphoto@comcast.net
www.Jimwilsonphotography.com
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:53 PM   #2
Major Player

For everything that will be seen on a computer, progressive is the best. You could also stick with progressive for DVD if they are played on a video-projector, and even on a TV will be fine as the DVD player will convert to interlaced.
I assume the best is to shoot 30p and edit 30p. Then it is easy to change the framerate to 15p or whatever for web video.

And Jim, I think you posted in the wrong forum. There is one specially for the XL2 where you will get more answers.

Good luck,

Benjamin.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion