Need power! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #1
Tourist

Need power!

I am using my XL1S to record the local equine events where no 110v power is available. I usually pick a location and try to stick to it. I am looking for ideas or "this is how I do it" for powering the Laptop (DVrack), the camera, and the LCD monitor. All of the devices are capable (directly or via adapter) to run off a 12 power source.

So I was thinking about a sealed deep cycle battery to lug on site. I'm 6'4" and 285, so the weight is not a significant issue to me.

Any comments or suggestions?

TIA

Mark
Mark Houliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Power

Hi Mark,

I make a "film style" battery box with a 12V - 12 amp hour in it. It is a pelican case with a batttery, a charger, and 2 - 4 pin XLR connectors in the lid so you don't have to open it. I charge around $250 for them. I use an NRG power cable (optional) that has a 4 - pin XLR on one end and the adapter and step down for the XL-1 on the other end. I have shot with this case for a full day with out having to change batteries. (Although I do keep some spare XL-1 batteries around just in case.)

Check out the NRG Research web site. They also have battery boxes. More expensive and they use the same style batteries that I do.

Good luck,

David Mesloh
408-202-2214
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

If you can park your vehicle near your operating point you could take 12 volts from that or you can now find efficient, inexpensive, inverters that convert battery voltage to 120 VAC. With an inverter and an extension cord you are in business but don't forget to check that you don't run the battery down to the point where you can't start the vehicle at the end of the day.

Another possibility are the small (1 - 2 kW) portable (1 man hand carry but not too far) generators made by Honda and others. These will furnish plenty of power (and to spare) and are actually very quiet but you would want them a good distance from where you are recording so a long extension cord is again a must. The noise, even though not much, might be annoying to others, however.

A gel battery in a Pelican case with inverter might be another way to do it. Such a rig could furnish 12 VDC to those components that want 12 and 120 to those that operate best from AC.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Hi David- I would like to hear more about your power pack. Do you have any pics and specs?
Old December 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Tourist

More information please David!

I have looked at the NRG site and have read about their products.

I would like to know more about your solution. Pictures would be helpful.

Do you use a traditional Lead/Acid deep-cycle battery?
I am looking for battery that is sealed and/or gel based to make my life easier during transport.

Do you have a built in or external battery charger?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Houliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi all,

My solution was to place gel type deep cycle batteries in a pelican case with 4 pin xlr panel mount connectors on the lid. the case is waterproof, I seal the inside of the connectors inside the case with silicone. I use a 12V charger from Radio Shack at the moment. There are better chargers but this works for me right now. In the film industry you are on battery boxes most of the time. Even on some handheld shots they will just run a long cable to the camera from the battery box (10 - 20 ft). I'll post a picture at the end of the week. I'm in LA working until Thursday. You can always call me with questions.

Regards,

David Mesloh
408-202-2214
David Mesloh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion