DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Misc. Open DV from 2005 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/37135-misc-open-dv-2005-a.html)

Daniel Stone November 30th, 2005 12:51 PM

Video Statistics?

Anyone have any (or links to) statistics regarding use of video? For example: "Sutdies show that people respond 75% better to video advertising than print alone."

I just made that one up, but anyone have anything that I could throw at my potential clients to convince them that video is their business' friend?

Thanks!

Russell Rankin November 30th, 2005 11:28 PM

Digital Transfers in NYC

Hey Everyone
I'm going up to New York City to meet with my publicist, visit my sister and I also need to have my feature film transferred to DigiBeta and Beta Sp, but I'm not sure which facility is the best one. I am going to ask my publicist about it, but I'm curious what you guys have to say about it.
Thanks
-Russell

Jose Fonseca December 1st, 2005 08:10 AM

Great alternative to a viewfinder on a Mac

Not sure if this should be posted in this forum.

The best thing I have notice with this program is you get a big screen to view why you shoot. Also let's you capture not sure about the quality but it is a nice alternative to QuickTime and Finalcut. This program was developed to capture your tv programs.

Program download:
http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...kTVCarbon.html

info on the program.
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/01/26/hacktv.html

link to combine this program with Ical:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/...02/hacktv.html

If anyone finds other uses for this let me know.

--Jose

Roy Bemelmans December 2nd, 2005 01:57 PM

Timecode on video shoots

Being a film buff I’m currently studying TC on the set. I know how TC is used on film shoots, but I was wondering how it is used on professional video shoots (whether they be SD or HD). So far I can't seem to get a clear overview.

What’s the TC situation..

- When recording audio with an audio recorder and using one video camera?
- When recording audio with an audio recorder and using multiple video cameras?

Is the audio recorder used as master or will there be a dedicated master TC generator? Are timecode slates used? Is TC recorded to all tapes? Do the cams just record TC onto one of their audio tracks or actually slave to incoming TC? What framerates are used? What about genlock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie Pelfrey December 4th, 2005 08:58 PM

type of Camera questions

I do outdoor videos i notice on some of the hunting shows they have a small camera lense that mounts either on there hat or on the gun barrell does anyone know what this is it is about 3-4" long and round looks like it has a cable going to another device

Eddie

Richard Caruana December 11th, 2005 01:29 AM

Spherical Aberration

Does anyone know if there is any windows software that can do real-time rendering of video, or stills for that matter, to correct spherical aberration ?

Any help is appreciated

Richard

Australia

Bryon Akerman December 12th, 2005 05:45 PM

Invisible Screen???

Hey All,

I was reading a post on here the other day about creating a shallower depth of field. Someon suggested using "invisible silk" between the subject and background. I tried researching it online with no luck. Anybody got some info on this stuff? Where I can order it, or better yet, any of you guys going out of business and feeling charitable to give me sopme, along with all of your other equipment?

Hey...it's Christmas.

THanks for the help!

Bryon <><

Kevin Richard December 13th, 2005 04:09 PM

JVC GR dvl300 can't output dv-in to analog

My business partner has this camera and when you start viewing footage from FCP (firewire) it turns of the analog output. We would like to use this device to output to our new 13" sony trinitron monitor but obviously this isn't working.

Is there any firmware hacks availible to make this work, I know we can use our XL1s but we'd rather not unpack it and leave it hooked up just for this purpose.

Any suggestioins welcome
Kevin

oh, and mods feel free to relocate this to a more appropriate forum if need be.

Brian Duke December 14th, 2005 04:54 AM

Nikon Zoom Lens

Hey,

Is it recommended to use a Nikon Zoom lens with my Mini35 and HD100U? And if so, which one is reocmmended? Something under 2K please, or around there.

I was looking at a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-210mm 1: 4 Zoom Lens. Worth getting?

Thanks

Charlie Wu December 14th, 2005 04:53 PM

About RAWDV

What exactly is RAwDv??

Larry Rutledge December 17th, 2005 03:55 PM

Looking For A Little Help

I recently made a film for an online contest. Some of you have already seen it because I posted a link to the film here a few weeks ago. The film page at the contest allows people to rate the film on several categories and include a comment. While these comments/ratings don't affect the voting, I'm asking people to view the film and post a review . . . just cause its cool to have a lot of them, and I definitely value all comments/opinions/critiques I have and will receive.

You can get to the film here: http://visiongatefilm.com/films/browse/?f=80

Mine is at the bottom titled, "Invitation".

Thanks for you help,
Larry

Dylan Couper December 18th, 2005 11:08 AM

DVChallenge #4 - See the movies!

For those of you who don't follow our DV Challenge short film competition, I invite you to come take a look at the entries we have this time around. There will be more tomorrow as well, enjoy!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56206

James Darren December 21st, 2005 07:39 AM

Transmitter for Lipstick Camera

G'day all,

Been a while since i've posted on here....

I'm looking for a small video transmitter, 2.4Ghz or above to be used on a lipstick camera which will be mounted onto a person. I'm looking for something stable & very small. I've seen some 10.543Ghz transmitters being used at sporting events like the cricket for their stump cameras which work very well. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Stephen Armour December 24th, 2005 07:18 AM

doubts on multi-camera shoot via firewire

I'm preparing to do an interactive, long term, not-for-profit children's series (DV for now) in southern Brazil where I live. Since I do all the editing, as well as coordinate (direct/produce) things, I'm looking to gain some time by capturing all video as standard DV via firewire, to either a portable RAID array, or a single CPU, then transfer via Gbps Ethernet or Firewire to my editing suite later.

Here's the available equipment in this studio setup followed by my doubts:

2 DV cams (with XLR inputs for synced mic input)
2 HDV cams (1 with XLR inputs for synced mic input)
3 hidden, balanced super-cardioid mics (phantom powered) feeding into cams
1-UHF transmitter with headset mic for main talent (feeding into cam)

Now, my doubts:

1- though the sets are fairly small, the distances from cams to capture point could possibly exceed 30ft. Too far for IEEE-1394, right? How do I do it without a very expensive solution?

2- what is the best way to input those 4 streams of DV video/audio into a single RAID or multi-disk equipped CPU for transfer to my editing setup later?

3-Is it better to input each Firewire channel to a separate disk or to a fast RAID setup? I have a spare CPU with both IDE and 4 disk SATA RAID. Does each firewire input need a separate disk? If so, why, since DV capture is way below the speeds of those disks?

4- I normally edit in PPro 1.51 and plan to purchase Multicam 4-camera software to help with the multi-cam editing. Is this good, or unnecessary? Since there will be many cutaways/animations/visuals, is there a better way?

Okay you multi-cam pro's, I need some good advice...

Stephen Armour
ABE Prod.
Chapecó, Santa Catarina, Brazil
http://www.abeprod.com.br

Bryon Akerman December 24th, 2005 09:25 AM

Dream Shopping Spree

Okay everyone,

So our DVD has come out and gotten good reviews from local media. We hit a thousand sold in our first ten days. The producer and myself are feeling pretty good about it and then... He gets word that a very wealthy
(hundreds of millions) man has a couple of projects that he wants us to do. He thinks we have talent. (Boy, do we have him fooled.) Cost is of no object. This would go all the way down leasing office space for us to work out of.

My question is this... what would you buy? I want to base it around the XL-H1 and want to include EVERYTHING. Audio equipment, post production, a BIG Plasma to hang on the wall, for viewing the product of course. hehehe. Everything!

So quit salivating and start writing.

Now, I'm waiting to hear from you upper level guys. Chris Hurd, Ash Greyson, and Shannon Rawls

Thanks,
Bryon <><