Need advice for Videoing a conference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Need advice for Videoing a conference

Hi everyone. I've recently taken up videography and editing as a hobby and have just offered to video our companies sales conference. We are expecting around 350 people, so I'm desperate for info on what I need to buy/organise to get this right. I have a Canon XM2 (GL2), Hama Gamma 80 tripod (with built in lanc), loads of BP945 batteries, sennhiesser MKE 300D microphone & wide angle lens.

The conference is a 3 day event that includes fun activities. I can film all the fun stuff, no probs. This is where I need the help:

On the final night, we will be having our various on stage speeches plus awards to those who have excelled etc. What my company have asked is if I can video the procedings "live" onto a large screen on stage. (the guest speakers will be standing in front of the screen!!!!). They then want to fade between the "live" footage and a still photo, like a company logo or something. They will provide a projector and I know that my camera can plug into this using a standard a/v cable. But how do I set this up? The projector cannot be infront of the stage, as the picture would project onto both the people on stage, as well as the screen? This means that the projector would need to be positioned somewhere else with some kind of wireless transmission of video from the camcorder to the projector. Do I have to use some kind of wireles transmitter to send a signal from my camera to the video projector? If so, what type of transmitter and receiver do I need. My company are okay for me to purchase against expenses but I obviously don't want to rip it.

I understand my description above may sound vague but this is my 1st time and am a little nervous. Has anyone had any similar experience filming conferences? Is there anything else I should consider? We used to have 2 proffesional cameramen with masive broadcast DVCAM systems do this in the past but this year they omitted this for some reason. If anyone can help, or share experiences, I'd be very, very grateful. Thanks in advance.
Sean Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Jeese, where do I start?
I work for a company that has meetings ranging from several hundred, up to 60,000 in attendance. Full-on , rock-n-roll type presentations.

Why not email me and we can talk.

patnaude at comcast dot net
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sean
You probably need to hire a small digital video mixer. Plug the output of the mixer into the projector, use your camera for the live footage and perhaps a vhs machine with the logo recorded to tape for however long the awards will run. Then you just mix between the 2 as required. I'm not sure about the positioning of the speakers in front of the screen, I would assume that this would look a bit strange with a similar effect of shooting into a mirror or monitor showing the same bit of vision. (That is if I have understood what you are trying to acheive) Would it not be better to have the speakers podium off to the left or right of the screen to avoid this.
Hope this helps Phil
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi & thanks for the replies, appreciated. Apparently, the hotel in question has some gear that they use for such conferences. They will be calling me towards the end of the week to see what equipment I have, and what I hope to achieve with my videoing. So it seems that my posted query may be a bit premature......I'm hoping they will be able to sort me out but if not, at least I'll have a better understanding of what equipment I need and what I want to achieve visually.

So thanks again for your interest and replies to my query...I'll post a new thread, if required, once I have ironed out the details. Thanks again.
Sean Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion