Pro Digital8?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 25th, 2002, 04:33 PM   #16
Major Player

I have used dozens of TDK Hi-8 MP cassettes for both Hi-8 and Digital8 and not only get better video performance than with ny other type, but they are durable and I've had no glitches or dropouts. They are available at a WalMart store for $8., in a 2-pack. CostCo has them for even less in a 4-pack and K-Mart
has them at a low price, also.
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:57 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have limited experience with Mini-Dv vcrs owning only a Panasonic AG-DV1000, but it gives enough trouble with the bandilng issue that it is not usable as a means of archiving the output of my Avio editing machine. My XL1/s also sometimes exhibits the banding problem. As a result I have been using a Sony TRV 120 D-8 to record from the Avio and the results are perfect with no dropouts and no banding. I also use the tapes from Wal-mart.
Old September 27th, 2002, 05:48 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hallelujah, it's about time I'm not the only D8 medium nut!!

I'm telling you maxell gx-mp STRAIGHT 8 tapes have been wonderful to me. Not even hi8. I pay about $12 for a 4 pack that offers a rebate to boot. I should probably get on the fuji bandwagon, but they come in sleaves, not cassette cases and the maxells seem to do just fine. Thank God for all of that tape's surface area! Only thing that sucks is a longish rewind time.

I've been really lucky with all my stuff, from my trv315 (1st gen.) to both my walkmen (GV-D800). I wasn't too sure if things recorded on one deck would be accurate on the others (as warned in the book when not using a primo tape), but so far, so good. As always, no tape mixing.
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #19
Major Player

Attention DigitalHI8 Users

Is anyone still using Hi8 at all? I have an old TRV103 and as that is what I have I use it for off-the-wall stuff and was wondering if anyone has other recommendations for tapes? Look forward to hearing from those DigitalHi8 users!
Clay
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #20
Wrangler

We used to shoot our archive videos here with a Sony Hi-8 camcorder several years back. A few months ago I had to dub one of those tapes to VHS so I connected the old camera to a good VHS deck via s-video. Man, all I can say is that our standards sure have changed over the past 4 years! That Hi-8 footage looked horrible to me. Now this was just a $600 consumer camcorder, so perhaps Hi-8 is capable of something better. But DV sure seems to be in an whole different league...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #21
Inner Circle

The new digital8 models from Sony have been watered down it seems. Some of the old digital8 models were really good like the TRV110 (great audio for a camcorder mic, good videos, has useful features).

Digital8 is DV onto hi8/video8 tapes. The format is the same quality as mini-DV (a bit better actually since it should be a bit more reliable) but the cameras may not be as good.

Digital8 has a big problem though: if you don't have a deck/camera then you can't play the tapes back. Considering that digital8 is a dying format this isn't good!
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:00 PM   #22
Major Player

Back in 1998, I bought the most expensive consumer "new" camera I could find, not knowing a damn thing about cameras or video. It happened to be a TRV110. It is by no means a "professional" camera, but for fun off-the-wall stuff. I just want to get the most out of the camera I can. Didn't know if a pro digital hi-8 would help or not (at least I would have less dropped frames).
Old December 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #23
Outer Circle

D8 is a more robust format than DV because the tape speed is faster, and like Panasonic's DVCPRO, it has an increased track pitch width of 18 microns. So there is less potential for drop-outs.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion