Video direct out of projector to Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 18th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Video direct out of projector to Camera?

I am filming a day long seminar at the end of the month which consists of several speakers presenting their powerpoint presentations. What I thought about trying was if possible taking a video out from the projector right into my backup camera and using it in the final edit when I need a detailed shot of a slide.

In the past I have run the powerpoint through CamStudio which converts it to a AVI, but it is a very time consuming and tedious job. (especially getting the timing of the presentation right)

Anybody try this? I assume I would need some sort of VGA to RCA cable?
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

What you're thinking of doing is possible, though you'll need more than just a VGA to composite (RCA) "cable." A device known as a scan converter will take the VGA signal (which uses many separate wires for the RGBHV signals) and convert it to a composite or S-Video signal that you can input into your camera. It'll also convert the high-resolution PowerPoint image (which is hopefully 1024x768) down to standard NTSC (720x480). Some converters may also shrink the image to keep it within the TV safe zone.

You may notice more artifacting on the images if you're doing to DV. My experience with computer graphics is that DV doesn't handle the sharp, high-contrast edges very well ('though it could partially be my cheap codec).

Why is Camstudio so time consuming? I thought it captured straight to AVI (so your slides should already be timed properly). Can you give more detail on your post-production process?
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Camstudio is so time consuming because I don't run it live at the show, because I find it bogs down the user's computer too much.
So usually I take a wide shot of the screen and in post I have to record the powerpoint presentation (by me running it) to avi by following the tape that I recorded for the proper slide timings, because most of these speakers don't use pre-planned timing in their presentations.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ah, now I understand.

What if you took your second camera and simply pointed it at the projection screen? It wouldn't have very good quality, but it would give you your slide timings. Once you put that on the timeline, take your screen grabs from PowerPoint (aka Camstudio) and align them to the video track. This would give you a guide for the timings but with the maximum quality possible.

One other thought: newer versions of PowerPoint have the ability to export slides as JPG's or BMP's. I believe they're at a resolution right around video (720 x something). This may save you a step if you still want to substitute still images for the slides.

If you go that route, let me know if you figure out how to change the export resolution. I haven't found that setting yet. If, however, this is still too much work, recording through a scan converter to DV may be the best route (are there other recording formats that can take VGA directly... anyone?).
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion