filters... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1
New Boot

filters...

I'm doing an independent film in Upstate New York next fall. I'm shooting it on the XL2 at 24p 2:3:3:2 pulldown (just in case I want to put it on film). The film requires a number of exterior shots. Since the fall is so lovely up here with the leaves turning and such, I'm putting out the money for several filters, including:

- the DV essentials filters by Tiffen

I'm also looking for the best quality for the movie, so I'm investing in the following:

- Promist #1 filter
- Soft FX
- 4 Point Star Filter
- Double Fog Filter
- 1.6 Extender

Is there anythign else I should be considering?

Thanks;

Christopher
Christopher Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Pick your filters and maybe some others and shoot extensive tests. You can see how much effect, or how little, each filter is giving you, depending on what you like and what the director and script call for. That should be discussed beforehand and the tests shown to the director so he/she can pick what they like.

Do your tests, in conditions similar to those you will be shooting in, time of day, location, int, ext, etc. If you can get the talent in there too that will help, complexions, hair color, etc. Wardrobe?

Are you getting screw in filters, or are you getting a matte box and 4x4 glass filters? Consider the largest front diameter you will own/use and standardize to one size, if possible. If you plan on getting the Century .7 W/A adapter, you will find that your 72mm filters won't fit. It's 95mm and there ain't no front threads. You may want to consider 4x4 glass filters, that way if you shoot in a larger format up to 16mm, or S16, you can use your same filters. But it means buying, or renting a matte box. Plan ahead

A polarizer and an enhancing filter like the Tiffen Enhancing filter, or the 812, will do what you want for the foliage. The polarizer will make the colors more saturated and it's a a good general filter to have in your kit.

The Enhancer and 812 will enhance the reds, oranges and warm colors. These can also be good for close ups on talent, or interviews.

A Neutral Density graduated filter can be helpful to knock down the exposure of the sky. The color grad is helpful, but there are many different colors creating different effects. For example, you can simulate a sunset, or blue sky if need be. But you have to be careful not to overdo it. Filtering looks really cheesy if done badly.

Tiffen, Schneider/B+W, Formatt, Harrison & Harrison, Panchro, Am I leaving anyone out?

You may want to rent some filters before buying them, or visit a rental house and see if you can play with them there at the shop. This way you can get an idea of what you want before plunking down big bucks. Tiffen has a video, I think it's called Which Filter? I forget.

A good basic kit would be some light diffusion, a polarizer, an ND filter, or two, Perhaps an grad of some sort. It depends on what you like and how funky you want to get.

Just remember, it is sometimes wiser to shoot clean-no filter-and fix it in post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion