MATCHING DVX with XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

MATCHING DVX with XL1s

Shooting a concert in 60i, will these two work ok together?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can adjust the gamma curve on the DVX100 so it matches the XL1s more. Turn off the film-look stuff on the DVX100.

You could also shoot frame mode on the XL1s and 30p on the DVX100 if you like the 30p look, although the DVX100 will have more vertical resolution if you do that (about a third more).

2- At the shoot, try to get the same white balance and exposure levels between both cameras. Have a white card or something and shoot it so part of it zebras on both cameras.

Having the same exposure level would be great since colors shift as they approach clipping and the soft shoulder/knees in the camera's gamma curve. If one camera does that then it will be hard to match the brightest colors.

3- You could also try matching up the saturation and edge sharpening between the two cameras within the camera's menus. Alternately, you might want to turn sharpening down on the DVX100 as much as possible as it should be slightly sharper than the XL1s. You can check things out with a resolution test chart at:
http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/re...x.html#EIA1956

I haven't seen footage from both cameras together but they should match up fairly well. What I've written above is what I'd do to match the cameras up.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Glenn - Can't thank you enough - Have a great weekend
Michael Best is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion