Archos av400 as a DV tool? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Archos av400 as a DV tool?

I was shopping around for an mp3 player, when I noticed the Archox AV420. As I played aorund with it I started wondering about the possibilities of this, and other multimedia players hitting the market...

The biggest downside of course is the lack of a firewire port. But I was thinking for me (and maybe you?), it might be a worthwhile investment for the following reasons:

Video In (via the additional on-the-go adapter) so it can act as an LCD monitor for my XL1S. It's only 3.5", but the picture is quite crisp for it's size. I would have to fabricate some sort of mount however.

20+ GB (80GB version coming out soon). I could bring a video proposal to a client and be able to show him/her on the spot in a parking lot. No CD's to load, no bulky laptop. It also plugs directly into a TV for larger presentations.

20 GB is also enough to store an hour and a half of unedited DV, for quick transport. Again the firewire port would be nice here, but USB2.0 is acceptable for transfer.

The built-in CF slot can transfer any production stills from your digital still camera, to the Archos for storage/viewing, saving the need to invest in additional CF cards (20GB of CF cards = $$)

Records audio and video through the adapter cable (uses RCA inputs, and I believe there's an s-video in as well) Of course, I'd use the DV camera for my footage, but the additional flexibility of recording footage from, say an older VHS/Hi8 camera instead of wear 'n tear to record to the XL1 tape is a nice bonus.The audio recording feature would make for a nice backup s

Removeable battery, so I can keep a couple of spares handy if I'm on a trip. No charging docks required when out without an external power source (like during a long flight for example)

Plays MP3s...which was my initial reason for looking at media players. Why buy an iPod when something like the Av400 can do so much more for me?

It's not perfect, and these multimedia packages can only get better...

Does anyone use the AV400, or something similar as a tool?
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Since these things are selling some people must be using them,
primarely for MP3 and stills I'd say though. As long as such things
can't act as a direct-to-disk recorder for our camera's I still prefer
my laptop, it can do all of the things above and much more. The
screen is vastly superior as well. I can go TV out, read almost all
memory cards (with a memory card reader), capture directly to the
laptop, play some footage (from DVD as well), burn a CD/DVD,
edit footage if I want to etc. etc.

I don't consider most laptops "bulky", but that's personal of course.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion