Another film challenge from DVDA #2: Umbrella! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 8th, 2002, 03:33 AM   #16
RED Code Chef

Too bed... hehe. I've have my umbrella already secured. Now I
need some rain (it is sunny atm) and a person to assist me... And
ofcourse time. I think I'm going to shoot some nice reference
plates in Paris... might come in handy. Oh, and my umbrella is
coming along!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:20 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Classic moments in my DVDA Umbrella film shoot

- After all day the Umbrella Killa arrives at the party of the bubble drug merchants. The moment of truth. He lifts the umbrella and ... it WILL NOT OPEN.
- Exhausted, after running out to Dylan's truck and running back in with an important floppy disc containing a fake email for the Killa's laptop I impatiently try to enter an extremely antiquated elevator before it has finished completely settling down to ground level. I trip over its lowering bottom and propel myself face first into the elevator. Not only am I injured, the FLOPPY DOES NOT WORK IN THE LAPTOP.
- To "save time" we decide to move the car from our first location to the next street location four city blocks away. Instead, we spend nearly twenty minutes carrying heavy bags and cumbersome equipment around a cavernous underground parking trying to find the car. We resort to speaking to an East Indian security guard who explains the grand unified theory of finding your car in a parking lot which, sums up, means: remember what exit you came in from. After ten minutes of being lectured by this gentlemen we realize that the car is five spaces from where we were standing, talking with this guy.
- After pressuring and cajoling a woman actor to appear in one of the outside scenes we were ourselves late because of 3). She was not pleased.
- Leaving the Umbrella Killa alone with the laptop while trying to download the fake email that is supposed to be stored in the laptop is not a good idea, it seems. While out of the room for five minutes, I return to find that Angus ("the Killa") has DISMANTLED THE LAPTOP ostensibly "to make it better" and IT WILL NOT COME BACK TOGETHER.
- After lecturing people on gun safety I shoot the Killa in the eye with a laser dot sight.
- Panicking and calling everyone I knew to come to the party. I run out into the hall and hammer on my neighbour's door and recruit a morose looking nerd to be in the party scene. I don't get anything out of him. He just sits there. He turns out to be a film student.
- To add silliness to the final party scene I have the gangsters blowing bubbles. But the bubbles I've bought are these new, alien kind of bubbles that you can touch. These leave HIGHLY NOTICEABLE DANDRUFF ALL OVER ANYONE THEY SETTLE ON. At the end of the night there is a coating of nuclear winter over all the furniture and floor.
- One of the only three girls we got for the party scene shows up dressed like a prim college girl with a white collar and red sweater. I immediately launch into a tirade over her clothing (she was supposed to be slutty) which ended with me saying "you don't look like a girl who would be at a party". Finally, Dylan solves this by telling her that 'red doesn't show on DV that well'.
- At the end of the day stabbing myself accidentally with the sword prop
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #18
Air China Pilot

First DVDA movie in

DVDA member R/Kain Blaze has produced the first Umbrella Challenge film. It's freaking hilarious:

http://www.freestylemega.com/move/lone.mov

His commentary here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/dvda/...es?msg=215.176
Old October 28th, 2002, 01:34 PM   #19
Air China Pilot

My Umbrella Killa blog

I've been blogging my trials and tribulations making Umbrella Killa on keithloh.com.

http://www.keithloh.com/video/umbrella/
Old October 28th, 2002, 05:04 PM   #20
Wrangler

Re: Classic moments in my DVDA Umbrella film shoot

Thoughts from Dylan on this...

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : - After all day the Umbrella Killa arrives at the party of the bubble drug merchants. The moment of truth. He lifts the umbrella and ... it WILL NOT OPEN. "

Solved this problem with what else...
DUCT TAPE. Extended the release cord so the Killa could pull it with one hand.

- To "save time" we decide to move the car from our first location to the next street location four city blocks away. Instead, we spend nearly twenty minutes carrying heavy bags and cumbersome equipment around a cavernous underground parking trying to find the car. We resort to speaking to an East Indian security guard who explains the grand unified theory of finding your car in a parking lot which, sums up, means: remember what exit you came in from. After ten minutes of being lectured by this gentlemen we realize that the car is five spaces from where we were standing, talking with this guy.

THAT WAS FUNNY!!! This is basically exactly how Keith described it. Except the guard kept explaining it to us as we were loading our gear into the back of the car.

- After pressuring and cajoling a woman actor to appear in one of the outside scenes we were ourselves late because of 3). She was not pleased.

Wasn't she supposed to meet up with us at the Subway 2 hours earlier? I blame her.

- After lecturing people on gun safety I shoot the Killa in the eye with a laser dot sight.

"It's funny 'cause it's not me." -Homer Simpson

- Panicking and calling everyone I knew to come to the party. I run out into the hall and hammer on my neighbour's door and recruit a morose looking nerd to be in the party scene. I don't get anything out of him. He just sits there. He turns out to be a film student.

Stupid nerd. He'll never work in this town again!

- To add silliness to the final party scene I have the gangsters blowing bubbles. But the bubbles I've bought are these new, alien kind of bubbles that you can touch. These leave HIGHLY NOTICEABLE DANDRUFF ALL OVER ANYONE THEY SETTLE ON. At the end of the night there is a coating of nuclear winter over all the furniture and floor.

I can't get it out of my clothes! I think I made the funniest comment of the day about that, but it's much to rude to be repeated here in polite company. Y'all can guess what it was, but it was probably even ruder than that.

- One of the only three girls we got for the party scene shows up dressed like a prim college girl with a white collar and red sweater. I immediately launch into a tirade over her clothing (she was supposed to be slutty) which ended with me saying "you don't look like a girl who would be at a party". Finally, Dylan solves this by telling her that 'red doesn't show on DV that well'.

Then I also said "What Keith is to polite to say is he'd like you to dress more like a hooker." So she did. In a very nice shade of blue.

Anyway, I can't believe we got it all done in one day. I am so friggen tired. Going to bed now.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #21
Air China Pilot

Stills gallery from "Umbrella Killa" up

http://www.keithloh.com/video/umbrella/gallery.html

All this great looking stuff is due to Dylan Couper. Dude, you rock.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:47 PM   #22
Wrangler

Thanks Keith (blush)
I just checked out the footage. I'm really, REALLY surprised how light the party scene was. It looked much darker through your viewfinder (which is what I was going for). Glad I gelled the lights down. It'll be really interesting to see how it comes together.
I'd like to point out to everyone that even though we had my light kit there, we only used the apartment lights. This was a combination of lack of space, time, and Keith and I being too exhausted to move by the time we got to the inside stuff.

Just so all the forum readers know, the guy with the shaved head in this pic

http://www.keithloh.com/video/umbrella/screencaps/unsuspecting.jpg

is our very own Keith Loh. Director, producer AND actor! Whatta guy... ;)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 11:17 PM   #23
Trustee

Hey Keith, when do the umbrella entries close, or have they already?
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:25 AM   #24
RED Code Chef

Bugger.... I'm just reading you guys are voting for an extension.
I wish I'd know that earlier. I just spend a whole weekend doing
nothing more or less (to rest). I didn't had any time due to lots and
lots of work and doing Paris. So if I had known.... What is the
new deadline if you guys moved it?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:49 AM   #25
Air China Pilot

Get your Umbrella Films in

I'm not exactly sure when we will close it out. Everyone is extremely busy in life and other opportunities. I think we will close it out when we get more than two entries. And here I am getting ahead of myself seeing as I haven't even edited my entry yet.

So, I would say, do your Umbrella film. The Bathroom film challenge trickled in two weeks later than our second extention, I believe. :)
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:51 AM   #26
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Thanks Keith (blush)
I just checked out the footage. I'm really, REALLY surprised how light the party scene was. It looked much darker through your viewfinder (which is what I was going for). Glad I gelled the lights down. It'll be really interesting to see how it comes together.
I'd like to point out to everyone that even though we had my light kit there, we only used the apartment lights. This was a combination of lack of space, time, and Keith and I being too exhausted to move by the time we got to the inside stuff.
-->>>

Actually, having that apartment light on was key. All the filming on that side of the room was sharp but the dark areas were pretty grainy. Especially near that bookcase. I will attempt to edit around them.
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:06 PM   #27
Trustee

Keith, ok I'll try and get something done - I had an idea this morning while I was brushing my teeth :). I have a directing/producing course over the next two weekends so time will be short, but I hope I can find some time - it should be a blast. Might have to be a camera and tripod only shoot! (No lights, sounds anything :) )

Where do I go to submit it?
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #28
Air China Pilot

Submitting your Umbrella movie

forums.delphiforums.com/dvda/start/.

You'll have to register in Delphi (free).

The thread to look for is this one:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/dvda/messages?msg=215.37

Glad to see some more try this.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 02:59 PM   #29
Air China Pilot

First clip of "Umbrella Killa" now up

I've posted the first outtake from 'Umbrella Killa' up on keithloh.com. It's a clip that Dylan has been bugging me to see since we wrapped up.

http://www.keithloh.com/video/umbrella/clips/index.html

I think it's a great steadi-shot. Pretty soon Dylan is going to be shooting his own version of "The Russian Ark".
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:42 AM   #30
Wrangler

Hey, that's better than I thought it would be. Hard to tell how smooth it is though, cut down to web format and all. Do you notice my footsteps at all in the full size version?

What Keith didn't say is that that was the 4th take we did, and we shot that one in a hurry as there was a security guard sitting in his big pickup truck wanting to drive through the alley. He graciously waited while we did the last one. I wanted to do one more to do the running spot differently, but I think Keith and I both decided it would be better not to push the generosity of the security guard. We got out of there before he asked to see our shooting permit. :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion