Minidv to S-VHS Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 27th, 2001, 10:23 AM   #1
aonikoyi

Minidv to S-VHS Recording

I cannot affort those nice dual decks that have the minidv/svhs combos. I was wondering if I could get the same results if I purchase an S-VHS hifi deck. Although these decks(that I know of) dont have the firewire connection however many of them have the s-video connection.

Could I have favourable results using one of these decks or would I have to shell out $1400 plus to get those combo decks.
P.s. I plan on using the out on my xl1s into the s-vhs vcr.
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:13 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I'm in the same boat.

Just ordered a JVC HR-S9800 Super VHS deck; should arrive tomorrow and I'll let you know how it is. Paid $380 at B&H.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2001, 02:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Recording from miniDV to S-VHS works great. You don't need a combo deck, but it does add convenience. Just be sure to use a good S-Video cable. Just remember that no matter what, S-VHS cannot match the picture quality if DV. Your recordings using a combo deck would look identical.

Be aware of one evil that has been included in many recent S-VHS decks, though: Super VHS-ET. What this does is record the S-VHS signal on a standard VHS tape. The results are OK. You're better off using a real S-VHS tape. I say S-VHS-ET is evil because of what happened to me: A friend shot some footage of a trade show on a rented 8mm camcorder. He didn't have time to transfer the tapes to VHS. So he sent me the 8mm tapes for me to convert. No problem. I went out and bought a couple of good VHS tapes and did the process. I checked the tapes to make sure that they were recorded well and sounded good. I sent the tapes back to him (all the way to Florida) and suddenly he is telling me that he can't watch them because there is sound but no picture! I acidentally had the S-VHS-ET mode turned on when the recordings were made. There was no way his normal VHS machine could read the S-VHS signal. I'm not sure if even Quasi (queasy)-S-VHS VCRs, which play back S-VHS recordings at normal VHS resolutions can read S-VHS-ET tapes since the actual tape casing is physically different than an S-VHS tape.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2001, 07:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Ive been using the PAL version of the JVC HR-S9800 Super VHS deck for about 12months and it works a treat. I've recorded straight from my XL1 and also from the breakout box of my DV500 and it looks pretty good, but remember what Joe said and make sure the S-VHS-ET is switched off
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 07:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Volume Control...

Anyone find a fair priced SVHS deck with audio level controls? Used to be standard on many of the commercial decks. I noticed the new dual decks don't even give you audio level controls. I know you can buy a mixer or board, but I still like control at the deck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion